Losing power will not rev past 1500rpm then stalls

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Action Ali-bongo
Bongonaut

Losing power will not rev past 1500rpm then stalls

Post by Action Ali-bongo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:00 pm

Hi all,

My friends Bongo, a 96 plate 4wd AFT diesel does not want to rev over 1500rpm, the fuel pick up has been checked and cleaned a new fuel filter whacked on and all fuel lines checked but still no joy, any other pointers to the cause would be greatly appreciated, thanks ever so much in advance :D

Cheers Ali.
If i get any more stupid i will have to be watered twice a week!! :)
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Help please Bongo will not rev past 1500rpm

Post by Bob » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:05 pm

Banjo filter?

Good luck.
Action Ali-bongo
Bongonaut

Post by Action Ali-bongo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:09 pm

Ah thanks sorry forgot put banjo filter has been checked. Many thanks for your fast reply.

Cheers Ali.
jimmo62
Bongolier

Post by jimmo62 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:15 pm

Suggest you check the ECU for error codes
http://www.philmcfadden.co.uk/MazdaDiagnosticBox.htm
Action Ali-bongo
Bongonaut

Post by Action Ali-bongo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:23 pm

Brilliant thanks very much for the above, i will pass this on, fingers crossed.

Thanks again

Cheers Ali
BongoDansk
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by BongoDansk » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:01 am

Did you ever find out the cause of your problem (i.e. the revs not going above 1500)??? I have the same problem and am stuck in Holland on my way to Denmark. So any answers would be GRATEFULLY received!

Thanks very much

BongoDansk
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:10 am

BongoDansk wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:01 am Did you ever find out the cause of your problem (i.e. the revs not going above 1500)??? I have the same problem and am stuck in Holland on my way to Denmark. So any answers would be GRATEFULLY received!

Thanks very much

BongoDansk
What year is the Bongo? Diesel i presume? Has it come on suddenly? Any dashboard lights on/flashing (as in ecu saying its gone into safe mode, can happen i believe on later diesels with variable vane turbos). One thing i recall that can stop the diesel turbo working properly is if a little vacuum tube that connects to it comes away or its function is otherwise compromised. Have a search of old threads and/or hopefully a techie on here will recall the details.
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:35 pm

There's a detailed description from Samuel (Tim) on this thread, Mike. It may be useful.
I have a 2001 2.5 turbo diesel which had the same problem and I cured it with the following method. Firstly check all the vacuum hoses under the passenger and drivers seat. Make sure they are all a tight fit. It is sometimes possible to cut the offending pipe by removing about 8mm but you can buy this from Halfords. It has 3.2mm internal diameter. Once happy go to the next stage below.

Under the passengers seat you will find a pair solenoid valves. Remove the electrical plugs. With a mulitmeter check across the connectors on the solenoids. Should measure between 30 and 60 ohms. If you are not getting a reading clean the connectors and try again. No reading will indicate a faulty component after a good clean.

Do the same with the solenoids under the drivers seat (4 of them). It was one of these that I found so dirty it didn't give me a reading. However after giving it a good clean it gave a reading and I have not had a problem since. I used a flat needle file to scrape the connectors clean along with a piece of emery.

My Bongo has never driven so well after sorting this. It pulls like a ruddy train now. Best of luck

Tim
"Living the Dream""
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=74699&p=701243&hili ... pe#p701243
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:59 pm

Excellent as usual Doone =D>
BongoDansk
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by BongoDansk » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:59 pm

mikeonb4c wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:10 am
BongoDansk wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:01 am Did you ever find out the cause of your problem (i.e. the revs not going above 1500)??? I have the same problem and am stuck in Holland on my way to Denmark. So any answers would be GRATEFULLY received!

Thanks very much

BongoDansk
What year is the Bongo? Diesel i presume? Has it come on suddenly? Any dashboard lights on/flashing (as in ecu saying its gone into safe mode, can happen i believe on later diesels with variable vane turbos). One thing i recall that can stop the diesel turbo working properly is if a little vacuum tube that connects to it comes away or its function is otherwise compromised. Have a search of old threads and/or hopefully a techie on here will recall the details.
It is a 1996 version - and YES it is Diesel. Bongo has been off the road for a year (just because I didn't need it), got it all going again a couple of weeks ago and drove around with no problems, before setting off for DK. Was driving along a main road at 50-60MPH - and it started to judder a bit - then lose power ... and then would not rev above 1500... and would not change out of first gear (automatic). Next morning the Bongo would start OK, manage the 1500 revs max... but then start to lose power even whilst in neutral... and then stall. I had originally thought it nay be a fuel blockage, but garage tried bypassing the fuel filter etc and it seems to be something else.... maybe an injection problem. The garage had not seen a Bongo before and didn't know what to do. Finally got recovery to our destination in DK....and then read Doone's post on here. I will check out Doone's suggestions in the morning. Thanks you all very much!
BongoDansk
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by BongoDansk » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:02 pm

Doone wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:35 pm There's a detailed description from Samuel (Tim) on this thread, Mike. It may be useful.
I have a 2001 2.5 turbo diesel which had the same problem and I cured it with the following method. Firstly check all the vacuum hoses under the passenger and drivers seat. Make sure they are all a tight fit. It is sometimes possible to cut the offending pipe by removing about 8mm but you can buy this from Halfords. It has 3.2mm internal diameter. Once happy go to the next stage below.

Under the passengers seat you will find a pair solenoid valves. Remove the electrical plugs. With a mulitmeter check across the connectors on the solenoids. Should measure between 30 and 60 ohms. If you are not getting a reading clean the connectors and try again. No reading will indicate a faulty component after a good clean.

Do the same with the solenoids under the drivers seat (4 of them). It was one of these that I found so dirty it didn't give me a reading. However after giving it a good clean it gave a reading and I have not had a problem since. I used a flat needle file to scrape the connectors clean along with a piece of emery.

My Bongo has never driven so well after sorting this. It pulls like a ruddy train now. Best of luck

Tim
"Living the Dream""
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=74699&p=701243&hili ... pe#p701243
Hi Doone - thanks so much for the suggestions - Ill try these in the morning! FYI - here is the full story:-

Beloved Bongo had been off the road for a year (just because we didn't need it) but we had upcoming plans to drive it to Denmark. So got taxed, insured etc and drove around for a week or two with no problems at all. So off we went on the journey to DK. Half way between London and DK (in Holland) the Bongo started to judder then lose power... and then would not rev above 1500... and would not change out of first gear (automatic). Next morning the Bongo would start OK, manage the 1500 revs max... but then start to lose power even whilst in neutral... and then stall. I had originally thought it nay be a fuel blockage, but garage tried bypassing the fuel filter etc and it seems to be something else.... maybe an injection problem. The garage had not seen a Bongo before and didn't know what to do. Finally got recovery to our destination in DK ....but could REALLY do with some advice on what the problem may be. Can anyone help??
BongoDansk
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Losing power will not rev past 1500rpm then stalls

Post by BongoDansk » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:52 am

So.... it was suggested that there could be a problem with my EGR (Exhaust Gas Recalculation) valves - so I checked them by connecting them directly to the battery and listening for a click - and indeed one of them was not working (unfortunately I broke the other one whilst removing the first!) - so I replaced them both - but sadly still have the same problem. Am I missing something?? ...any help gratefully received. I am currently in Denmark and no one has seen a Bongo here before!
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:49 pm

So what else have you checked, the problem seems to have been going on for a while, presumably you have checked fuel filter, air filter, Banjo filter it sounds a bit low in speed for the turbo to be coming in that's normally above 2000 RPM (I think ??) or maybe that is the problem perhaps the turbo isn't coming in to give you the added power ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
BongoDansk
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by BongoDansk » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:38 pm

g8dhe wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:49 pm So what else have you checked, the problem seems to have been going on for a while, presumably you have checked fuel filter, air filter, Banjo filter it sounds a bit low in speed for the turbo to be coming in that's normally above 2000 RPM (I think ??) or maybe that is the problem perhaps the turbo isn't coming in to give you the added power ?
Actually I haven't ...as there WAS a problem with one of the EGR solenoids it seemed really obvious that this would be the problem. Also, the problem occurred suddenly - which doesn't sound like an air filter problem as surely this would slowly get progressively worse. I'll try the fuel filter and the banjo filter (does anyone know where that is??), but I guess the only way to test these things is to replace them and see if it helps?? ..... and that will take a while to get the parts. Is there perhaps a way to test the fuel or banjo filter before ordering new ones? Thanks
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:49 pm

Ah right OK Banjo filter as below;
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”