which Sprinter wheel arch

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

cmm303
Supreme Being

which Sprinter wheel arch

Post by cmm303 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:10 pm

Getting quotes for my wheel arches and was asked to confirm the year of Sprinter - he admitted that they remained unchanged for a long time and suggested 2000 era, E.g.Mercedes Sprinter 95-06 Rear Wheel Arch ME459ALAAN. Is this right?

My most local body shop suggested he cuts back the inner then bonds and seals the remaining solid to the replacement outer. He could refrabricate the inner at extra cost (about a day) but does not think it necessary unless going for a prestige renovation. I've read on here about individuals rebuilding the inners but when having it done commercially time is (lots of) money. Worth it? Any views?
Chris with BertieB
'96 White unconverted AFT 2.5L Diesel 4WD
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Re: which Sprinter wheel arch

Post by mikexgough » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:05 pm

These ones..... it does for both sides... used them from mine and Klokkerholm brand

Remove inner panels if able.... and waxoyl inside several times before replacing the panels... obviously waxoyl the outer arch too
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:10 pm

Yes that is the correct arch to use, I think I was the first to find and use these. I also just cut the inners back so no rust was there then bonded and sealed the outers to the inner( as well as welding the outside). The reason I decided to do it this way was to eliminate the scenario of 2 skins which may trap water between them. You now have just one outer skin and you can see and feel exactly whats going on in future. I have since changed Bongos but would love to see my old one to see how its holding up. It's about 2 years since they were done so should be a good test.
Do what you like.Like what you do.
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:51 pm

Thanks Mikex and Stuc. Good to hear I was on the right track after reading your earlier posts on these arches.
Chris
Chris with BertieB
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:37 am

Any chance of making this post "Sticky" could be really hand for peeps in the future and save all the searching.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:59 am

David Edwards wrote:Any chance of making this post "Sticky" could be really hand for peeps in the future and save all the searching.

Just visit your corner shop.

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/arches.htm
cmm303
Supreme Being

Post by cmm303 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:18 pm

And silly me, I didn't check the fact sheet either
http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/member ... arches.pdf
It answers my question about the year, which I did not get from searching the forum back to 2011. Experience of the best way to deal with the inner is really useful when challenging a body shop - would this be worth considering for inclusion in the fact sheet.
Edit: and maybe a warning about decals. Perhaps I was being stupid but had not thought about the decals having to be taken off for respraying the affected panels.
Chris
Chris with BertieB
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:39 pm

I've never seen the fact sheet on arches, and I have just realised I'm not a member anymore,(emailed Ian to sort this)so I will have a look when I can get on. Am I allowed to add to the fact sheet if there is anything I feel would help.
Do what you like.Like what you do.
MyBongoiscalledDave
Bongonaut

Post by MyBongoiscalledDave » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:34 pm

Hey Guys,

Sorry to resurrect such an oldie here.

I’m having a lot of trouble sourcing some rear inner arch replacements which I think are referred to in the ancient post.

Any ideas?

Kind regards,

Adam
willow2u
Bongolier

Post by willow2u » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:08 pm

Put Mazda bongo arches as a search on eBay there’s quite a few. As far as inners rears go they are a pain especially drivers side as it’s such a stupid shape I had to do mine in about 6 pieces stitching it all together
MyBongoiscalledDave
Bongonaut

Post by MyBongoiscalledDave » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:14 pm

Mmm, I had a feeling that the inners were going to be a nightmare. Is there anything that kind of fits that can be hammered into a shape where they do fit?
willow2u
Bongolier

Post by willow2u » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:11 pm

Have you got outer arch all cut away
MyBongoiscalledDave
Bongonaut

Post by MyBongoiscalledDave » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:20 pm

willow2u wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:11 pm Have you got outer arch all cut away
Not yet. It’s at my mates workshop. He said it’s gonna cost £1500 (plus respray) with a couple of other bits so I’ve told him to stand down. I don’t have that sort of cash. I’ll have to drive it for now, (it just passed an mot) and I’ll get it done in the summer.

I’ll buy a welder and learn a new skill while I’m at it.
willow2u
Bongolier

Post by willow2u » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:47 pm

Get a reasonable second hand mig of eBay Facebook gumtree etc get a hobbyweld account for argon mix gas rather than the tiny bottles and a reactive face mask and you’re good to go putting arch on its pretty much spot welding. To start anyway. Once you’ve trimmed Down new arch panel and outlined it against old then the fun starts 😟
TheLongRoad
Bongolier

Post by TheLongRoad » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:01 pm

Make sure you remove the interior trim and anything that can catch fire ... it’s not unusual for vehicles to catch fire otherwise. I’ve got the full side conversion and rock n roll to remove, plus interior trim before my garage will go near it.
2002 Friendee 2.0 ltr Petrol.

Return to “Techie Stuff”