heater blowers stopped working

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mellon man
Bongolier

heater blowers stopped working

Post by mellon man » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:35 pm

Help please - Both front and rear heater blower fans have just stopped working.
Fuses are OK
Any ideas what it could be ?
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: heater blowers stopped working

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:28 pm

Which fuse(s) have you checked? The 'heater' is on a 30A fuse, number 17 under the bonnet. There is also number 15 described as 'rear heater' according to the factsheet: http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/member ... usebox.pdf
mellon man
Bongolier

Post by mellon man » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:35 pm

Simon Jones wrote:Which fuse(s) have you checked? The heater are on a 30A fuse, number 17 under the bonnet. There is also number 15 described as 'rear heater'
Yes Simon that's the ones big pink ones and they were fine.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:45 pm

Ok, have you tried them on a speed settings? Blown resistor pack usually only affects lower speeds. Have you tried removing the front ducting and spinning the fan round by hand? The bearings tend to get quite a soaking especially if the scuttle drain hole gets blocked up.

Have you got digital or manual controls, and is the 'rear' switch on the dashboard in the on position?
mellon man
Bongolier

Post by mellon man » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:17 pm

Simon Jones wrote:Ok, have you tried them on a speed settings? Blown resistor pack usually only affects lower speeds. Have you tried removing the front ducting and spinning the fan round by hand? The bearings tend to get quite a soaking especially if the scuttle drain hole gets blocked up.

Have you got digital or manual controls, and is the 'rear' switch on the dashboard in the on position?
No not checked anything else hoping it might be something simple as working fine yesterday.
Will go through your check list - How do I access the fans ?
It has the manual controls. Thanks..
TheBteam
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by TheBteam » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:43 pm

This happened on ours - thee is a arm on the centre console drivers side footwell that became un clipped. I clipped it back on and it started to work again.....
Be the change you want to see in the world....
mellon man
Bongolier

Post by mellon man » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:49 pm

O.K. found this from Rhod in 2008:

The fan is located on the right hand side (looking from the front) under the bonnet. It's inside the round plastic housing below the heater air intake.

I'm writing from memory, but the way that worked for me was roughly:

1) Remove 2 push-clips at front of "wide-mouthed" ducting & pull ducting off.

2) Disconnect fan electrical connector.

3) Unbolt fuse box & lay to one side

4) Undo 2 nuts (horizontal) behind fuse box which hold ducting on

5) undo 3 screws (vertical) holding the fan housing/ducting - 1 on right, 2 on left.

6) undo 2 nuts (horizontal) at the rear right holding the fan housing/ducting to the rear bulkhead.

7) Lift & manoeuver the plastic ducting/fan housing assembly out of the bonnet space

8. undo 3 screws on the underside of the fan housing to extract the fan.

Think that's it - I might have missed a screw or bolt out but it's all self explanatory. Don't think it makes any difference which order you unbolt it in really.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:09 am

No need to go to those lengths to check the motor spins freely. Locate the ducting shown in the dotted line half way down the left hand side: http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html

This is held in place by two scrivets:

Prise or unscrew the centre pin, remove scrivets and pull the ducting off. You will then be able to see the fan in the housing. H&S warning: make sure the ignition is off before sticking your hands into the fan blades ;)

Plenty of reading material under the FAQ section: http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 43&t=28727
mellon man
Bongolier

Post by mellon man » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:36 pm

Strange - the front heater or rear heater fan not working but when the turn control ion the front is on number 1 the rear fan comes on but if I turn the control to 2-3 or 4 the rear fan turns off with nothing happening with the front fan :?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:50 pm

I'd check resistor pack as it sounds a bit like it might be the culprit, from the symptoms.
mellon man
Bongolier

Post by mellon man » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:57 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:I'd check resistor pack as it sounds a bit like it might be the culprit, from the symptoms.
Thanks - where will I find the resistor pack :?:
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:26 pm

mellon man wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:I'd check resistor pack as it sounds a bit like it might be the culprit, from the symptoms.
Thanks - where will I find the resistor pack :?:
On the facsheet in the members area. I did mine years back - dead simple but remember the underlying cause needs to be fixed or it will happen again (partially seized fan due to water ingress from blocked windscreen drain)
mellon man
Bongolier

Post by mellon man » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:25 am

On the fact sheet in the members area. I did mine years back - dead simple but remember the underlying cause needs to be fixed or it will happen again (partially seized fan due to water ingress from blocked windscreen drain)[/quote]

[Update/b]

In between showers removed resistor all 5 connections had separated soldered back together as per fact sheet.
Now as per your advice need to find out what caused them to blow, did notice that with bonnet open rain water was dripping on in the area of fuse box & resistor housing, so start with drainage and then fan movement.
Will keep those interested updated
Thanks..
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:29 am

Front blower motor will have partially seized due to water falling on it from blocked drain on windshield gutter (which needs a wire poking through it at regular intervals to keep it clear). Hopefully you'll be able to strip it and clean things up like wot I dun. :-)
mellon man
Bongolier

Post by mellon man » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:03 pm

UPDATE 2 :

Drain hole and pipe unblocked and cleaned
Tried motor but was struggling only any sort of air output at settings 2 & 3
Front air intake cowling removed to access fan, fan blades did not seem all that easy to move
Removed top cowling & fan housing (straight forward once moved fuse box & It's mounting plate)
Removed fan from rear of It's housing, but unable to access bearing :?
Took off motor back cover, full of rust inside cleaned it all off and reassembled motor put some grease in dimple in alloy back cover, fan was must freer to move
Cleaned all dirt and dust from fan blades (this took longer than all the rest of this repair) !
Cleaned levees and debris from front of heater rad (should there be some sort of gauze filter on here to stop this happening) :?:
Put all back together and fan now works brilliant at all speeds :)

Just in time as had it working flat out as only 2oC today :D

Return to “Techie Stuff”