new member first bongo few queries- my experiance.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

jassani
Apprentice Bongonaut

new member first bongo few queries- my experiance.

Post by jassani » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:51 pm

Hello,
Ok im not good at hi my name is ---- pleased to meet you all so for this I apologise.
I bought a bongo friendee from ebay (please do not remind me how stupid I am). I drove this 257 miles home with no issues, then asked on here for garages near or in Sheffield where I could take my new toy to be serviced. I found a garage in birley that was willing to work on said bongo and although the guy did a cracking job I wish I had never set my sights on these grey imports ebay or anything else mazda for that matter.
I knew I was taking a risk buying a 1995 bongo from ebay and in all fairness expected there to be problems and expense involved with getting it running right but just didn't expect the constant expense and problems. so far its had new brakes all round, new back box, new vacuum hoses, rocker cover gasket, full coolant flush which led to new radiator which led to the cross member needing welding as the radiator was holding it up. That was round 1 in the garage it was in for a week. I get it back I take it out for a run (same day) I did not travel far 5 miles or so when I pull up I notice a drip from underneath. This looks to be transmission fluid so I nip to shop and buy fluid read how to check/change atf on factsheets seems straight forward enough 2 litres later dip stick is showing nothing not even a bubble and there is no spillage/leak on the floor- this is when I notice what I think is another leak this time its diesel. Thinking I need to get bongo back home (I was not at home filling aft as drive is sloped) I put everything back as it should be and set off home 1 mile away. hazard warning lights on,plumes of white smoke from the exhaust and travelling at a break neck speed of 3 miles per hour as engine wont rev past 1000rpm seemingly isn't an indication that maybe I am in difficulty as every human being on the planet seems disgruntled at my slowing there journey down by approximately 40 seconds and decide its a great idea to give me the flying v or the ok sign turned on its side and waved up and down. 15 mins later 1 whole mile travelled im home and decide to give garage a call. Mechanic comes and looks (he didn't have to do this A*) and it turns out its the diesel pump that's leaking, mechanic says its a good idea to do timing belt at same time but research what could be up with the pump before taking it off.He also says that the bongo should make it to the garage. Again factsheets from this forum are a blessing as I come across the common fault of the pump seals. I go back to mechanic who at this point is now in the middle of a garage move and has by now seen enough of me and my bongo. I get the impression he doesn't want to tackle the job and leave thinking about Dore service station a garage another member suggested on my only other post on this forum (on which I have been meaning to reply). I ring them they are more than happy to help say they have fitted loads of these seals and will do the timing belt at the same time. Its booked in at Dore and I remember the mechanic saying it should be ok to drive so set off full of enthusiasm that I will make it -how wrong could I be 3 miles down the road im back to white smoke due to pump taking air in and 1000rpm max and also the added danger that diesel is getting spilled onto the highway so I call the AA. I vaguely remember that automatics should not be towed but AA says his computer says 20 miles per hour maximum and it should be ok- so he tows me to Dore. They fit new pump seals and do the timing belt 3 days its in I go pick it up pay and drive away thinking all is well bongo is driving great and its a joy to drive.
Somewhere in the chaos I forgot about the dipstick for the aft having no oil on it and I decide to have a go at renovating the kitchen that's in it and give it a really good clean. I strip the kitchen and store it away in the garage and vax the carpets throw out the original mats that stink of wet dog and reorder new mats. I vax the seats and roof lining and everything else that can be cleaned.The water hose on the vax decides to split. I then decide to take it on a run to get the heaters up to temperature to dry out the interior of my new fresh smelling bongo so 18 miles down the motorway to east midlands outlet a quick look at the shops and back 18 miles home and all is well, bongo is driving well, the interior is dry the vax is boxed up ready to go back for a new 1 and did I say it already the bongo is driving great. so I get home throw broken vax in back and set off to exchange it I get to the shop and they don't have a new vax for me so receive a refund great! I still need a carpet cleaner so decide to go to jtf warehouse that's not too far 8 miles away. looks round there no carpet cleaner that I want so decide to go home. Bongo starts at the flick of the key and off we go homeward bound for 2 miles then a stall. starts back up off we go then a loss in power and back to 1000 rpm but with no white smoke.I pull over and take a look to see if the diesel pump is leaking again -its not no hoses seem to have come loose no leaking diesel. I gets back in and fire her up starts after a little persuasion and drives ok for about a min then back to 1000rpm. not wanting to call the AA in case I need a tow to Dore I decide to limp back home at the breakneck speed of 3 mile per hour with all the glory of people passing showing them encouraging signs. now after initial outlay for the bongo im sitting at £1500 repair bill already spent and the bongo is still not running right. What I need to know is has anybody else had issues filling the transmission and where did the 2 litre go? could the AA have damaged the gearbox towing it?, have I damaged it driving with not enough oil in it? and could a lack of oil cause the 1000rpm problem? my current issue sounds like fuel starvation/vacuum problems so first port of call is fuel filter/banjo strainer cleaned and hose check but this gearbox scenario is bothering me like a nag at the back of brain and to be honest its becoming so much easier to just walk past the bongo and pretend its not there as every time It takes me anywhere its costs about a grand and half of my life. (took longer to get back from JTF than it did 257 miles home)
ANYBODY WANT TO BUY A BONGO?
Velocette
Supreme Being

Re: new member first bongo few queries- my experiance.

Post by Velocette » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:46 pm

jassani wrote:Hello,
Ok im not good at hi my name is ---- pleased to meet you all so for this I apologise.
I bought a bongo friendee from ebay (please do not remind me how stupid I am). I drove this 257 miles home with no issues, then asked on here for garages near or in Sheffield where I could take my new toy to be serviced. I found a garage in birley that was willing to work on said bongo and although the guy did a cracking job I wish I had never set my sights on these grey imports ebay or anything else mazda for that matter.
I knew I was taking a risk buying a 1995 bongo from ebay and in all fairness expected there to be problems and expense involved with getting it running right but just didn't expect the constant expense and problems. so far its had new brakes all round, new back box, new vacuum hoses, rocker cover gasket, full coolant flush which led to new radiator which led to the cross member needing welding as the radiator was holding it up. That was round 1 in the garage it was in for a week. I get it back I take it out for a run (same day) I did not travel far 5 miles or so when I pull up I notice a drip from underneath. This looks to be transmission fluid so I nip to shop and buy fluid read how to check/change atf on factsheets seems straight forward enough 2 litres later dip stick is showing nothing not even a bubble and there is no spillage/leak on the floor- this is when I notice what I think is another leak this time its diesel. Thinking I need to get bongo back home (I was not at home filling aft as drive is sloped) I put everything back as it should be and set off home 1 mile away. hazard warning lights on,plumes of white smoke from the exhaust and travelling at a break neck speed of 3 miles per hour as engine wont rev past 1000rpm seemingly isn't an indication that maybe I am in difficulty as every human being on the planet seems disgruntled at my slowing there journey down by approximately 40 seconds and decide its a great idea to give me the flying v or the ok sign turned on its side and waved up and down. 15 mins later 1 whole mile travelled im home and decide to give garage a call. Mechanic comes and looks (he didn't have to do this A*) and it turns out its the diesel pump that's leaking, mechanic says its a good idea to do timing belt at same time but research what could be up with the pump before taking it off.He also says that the bongo should make it to the garage. Again factsheets from this forum are a blessing as I come across the common fault of the pump seals. I go back to mechanic who at this point is now in the middle of a garage move and has by now seen enough of me and my bongo. I get the impression he doesn't want to tackle the job and leave thinking about Dore service station a garage another member suggested on my only other post on this forum (on which I have been meaning to reply). I ring them they are more than happy to help say they have fitted loads of these seals and will do the timing belt at the same time. Its booked in at Dore and I remember the mechanic saying it should be ok to drive so set off full of enthusiasm that I will make it -how wrong could I be 3 miles down the road im back to white smoke due to pump taking air in and 1000rpm max and also the added danger that diesel is getting spilled onto the highway so I call the AA. I vaguely remember that automatics should not be towed but AA says his computer says 20 miles per hour maximum and it should be ok- so he tows me to Dore. They fit new pump seals and do the timing belt 3 days its in I go pick it up pay and drive away thinking all is well bongo is driving great and its a joy to drive.
Somewhere in the chaos I forgot about the dipstick for the aft having no oil on it and I decide to have a go at renovating the kitchen that's in it and give it a really good clean. I strip the kitchen and store it away in the garage and vax the carpets throw out the original mats that stink of wet dog and reorder new mats. I vax the seats and roof lining and everything else that can be cleaned.The water hose on the vax decides to split. I then decide to take it on a run to get the heaters up to temperature to dry out the interior of my new fresh smelling bongo so 18 miles down the motorway to east midlands outlet a quick look at the shops and back 18 miles home and all is well, bongo is driving well, the interior is dry the vax is boxed up ready to go back for a new 1 and did I say it already the bongo is driving great. so I get home throw broken vax in back and set off to exchange it I get to the shop and they don't have a new vax for me so receive a refund great! I still need a carpet cleaner so decide to go to jtf warehouse that's not too far 8 miles away. looks round there no carpet cleaner that I want so decide to go home. Bongo starts at the flick of the key and off we go homeward bound for 2 miles then a stall. starts back up off we go then a loss in power and back to 1000 rpm but with no white smoke.I pull over and take a look to see if the diesel pump is leaking again -its not no hoses seem to have come loose no leaking diesel. I gets back in and fire her up starts after a little persuasion and drives ok for about a min then back to 1000rpm. not wanting to call the AA in case I need a tow to Dore I decide to limp back home at the breakneck speed of 3 mile per hour with all the glory of people passing showing them encouraging signs. now after initial outlay for the bongo im sitting at £1500 repair bill already spent and the bongo is still not running right. What I need to know is has anybody else had issues filling the transmission and where did the 2 litre go? could the AA have damaged the gearbox towing it?, have I damaged it driving with not enough oil in it? and could a lack of oil cause the 1000rpm problem? my current issue sounds like fuel starvation/vacuum problems so first port of call is fuel filter/banjo strainer cleaned and hose check but this gearbox scenario is bothering me like a nag at the back of brain and to be honest its becoming so much easier to just walk past the bongo and pretend its not there as every time It takes me anywhere its costs about a grand and half of my life. (took longer to get back from JTF than it did 257 miles home)
ANYBODY WANT TO BUY A BONGO?
My Bongo was towed by the RAC for about five miles two years ago and has since been to Portugal Spain and the top of Scotland as well as lots of fast uk motorway trips. It is certainly not rcommended but I got away with it it seems. I can't help with the dipstick bit, garage has always done mine. Hope you get it sorted.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
jassani
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by jassani » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:42 am

Hi velocette, thanks for replying about your bongo being towed. I am at the point thinking its better to cut the losses than carrying on throwing money at the bongo its just 1 thing after another. I need a reliable van and this seems like a bad egg, does anybody else have similar issues with these Bongos or am I just the unluckiest guy in the world?
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:49 am

I think you need professional opinion from a Bongo garage and then make a decision based of the out come
This sounds like something stupid as it runs fine some of the time
Gasy
Supreme Being

Post by Gasy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:43 am

A few start up issues
They all need a bit of tlc
Where did you buy from mate private or trade
( 257 miles from Sheffield was it Bristol )
Hope all turns out ok
Shout for help this site is great
Gas safe heating engineer / plumber if you need any advice just shout.
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:45 am

Yep that's the problem with a bongo great cars but not cheap for anything parts or work wise, that's why I advise all prospective buyers."do you really want a bongo" think hard why and then have another good look around at other similar vehicles, after all it is only a car and there are tons of choices most of which are prob cheaper. I have had mine 10 years and thinking back if I had known the cost and problems I would prob have stuck with my Espace or spacecruiser. Same if I had wanted a caravannette, there is no way I would have bought a converted bongo, just not good enough really, good luck with yours, dont give up, let's hope all the jobs are done now.
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:04 am

Well I read this mega post last night and thought to myself OUCH!, i

f it were me I would have shifted it toot sweet without spending another penny, Cut and run however after spending all the cash one is committed and to salvage anything from it one must sort it out and get the benefit of the vehicle. I know its a bummer but do not loose sight of the reasons of buying a Bongo in the first place.

As for Ebay, well you can actually safely buy from anywhere or anyone if you do your homework, taking all potential issues into consideration and only hand over the cash after your as certain as can be. But if you buy in haste the we all know you repent at leisure.

There's a shed load of information on here to assist anyone to make an informed decision, I spent two months surfing and reading before I took the plunge and that cost me nowt but proved invaluable when the time came!
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
jassani
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by jassani » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:45 pm

update:- going to change fuel filter clean the strainer in the banjo bolt thingie and drain and replace the transmission fluid and sump gasket. can anybody tell me if the bongo will go into limp mode on low transmission oil or get stuck at about 1200 rpm, im thinking if its not fuel starvation or vacuum issues then what else can I check?

Return to “Techie Stuff”