geting hot

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

joca
Bongonaut

geting hot

Post by joca » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:30 pm

Hi All, Iam going to change the the antifreeze over the weekend. Any advice on back flushing the system. If its all ready been covered on the forum, could you point me towards it. My Bongs running well, but the heat builds up in traffic. This as only started to happen over the last month. I am not loosing any water. All help appreciated. Thanks
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: geting hot

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:48 pm

maybe an idea to replace the thermostat to help control things a little better, best use a gen mazda one, from mazda dealer or ian at bongo towers.
if you have had the motor for years with no probs maybe a water pump and front rad also, little money for piece of mind.

the bongo will run at its hottest when its stationary, especially in this hot spell, but the fans should come in and cool everything quickly, replacing the 3 parts above will help it do this better.

to back flush things i would remove the rear heater supply and return pipes to let the heavy solids out of the system as this is one of the lowest points in the system, then flush through from the front. then remove as many pipes as you can to flush through, including in through the bleed pipe.

are you ok with the bleeding up afterwards.
check out the 3 films on mazda bongo ford freda bleed, by bwitched blingo on youtube.
Titan1995
Tribal Elder

Post by Titan1995 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:52 pm

A little tip regarding changing the thermostat. Remove the whole thermostat housing from the two bolts on the block. Obviously a new gasket is required.

A lot easier to fit the thermostat on a bench than in situation.

As previously mentioned, make sure you use an O.E.M. thermostat.
RobEvans
Bongolier

Post by RobEvans » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:48 pm

I did all of that recently but also changed the 5 main hoses just for piece of mind all good so far.

Return to “Techie Stuff”