MOT Fail - Lower Joints - AGAIN!! Press?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

ThisIsTheSea
Bongonaut

MOT Fail - Lower Joints - AGAIN!! Press?

Post by ThisIsTheSea » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:09 pm

Can't believe this. It failed last years MOT on lower suspension joints. Garage asked me to source some (got them off eBay), and now this year it's failed on the same thing - and he showed me. I paid £180 last year in labour and I'm not paying that again for something that could again fail in 12 months.

So... I have ordered some others (different supplier) and will fit myself.

Just wondering how easy/hard it is to whack the old joints out of the wishbone arm and press/hammer in the new ones?
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Re: MOT Fail - Lower Joints - AGAIN!! Press?

Post by Driver+Passengers » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:15 pm

Easy to press in and out with the right sized bits - the balljoint itself is at an angle to the main body of the wishbone, but both faces around the balljoint are flat/perpendicular, so it's an easy job. With a hacksaw and a hammer [angle grinder optional] you can get the old ones out - cut/grind off the bottom, below the flange, knock the ball out from the top, thread the blade through the hole and cut through the wall - don't cut into the wishbone. Hammer the casing out.

Once out, take the wishbones and new ball joints to a local garage and for 1/2 hour labour or a large packet of biscuits, they should press them in for you.

Post a photo of the rubbers on here (old and new) - I found that the rubbers that came on mine were NEVER going to last as IMO they were the wrong shape to compress into the space. Aftermarket rubbers going strong.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:22 pm

talk to ian at bongo fury about the quality of these parts available.
last year ian bought every different one from most the suppliers so i could cut them open. the results were very surprising. the quality of the balls and cup inside did vary dramatically.

in my opinion unless you are really skint its far better to buy the whole wish bone ,which is wishbone/balljoint/and the 2 rubber bushes instead of just the balljoint, as the replacement joints are poor.

go for gen mazda complete arm or blueprint (same spec internals).

either way its a straight forward press out job if your wishbone isnt rusted internally, or straight full wishbone swap.
ThisIsTheSea
Bongonaut

Post by ThisIsTheSea » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:13 pm

Thanks for the advice. I've ordered them already, so no going back. I did look at replacing the whole wishbones on both sides, but the price was eye-watering. The wishbones are in otherwise good condition.

And then tonight, casually over the tea table, the Mrs said "oh by the way, I reversed the passat into a lamp post and broke the rear light cluster - I was going to tell you earlier but I forgot". [-X

Bit of a "vehicle 'mare" of a day.

:roll:
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:32 pm

Hi
I'm afraid you should hear what Ady says...the whole arm is your only choice...the roads here are a bit rough, and I go through these joints like billy-oh...2 joints and 2 wishbones...the wishbone is good value for money all things considered, and lasts far longer, pound for pound in comparison with time...I even had one joint go in a month, but it's the arm that seems not to be able to take the joint being popped out and replaced, unless you're very lucky! 2 joints = £120.00....one wishbone = £150.00...and it lasts A LOT longer
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
ThisIsTheSea
Bongonaut

Post by ThisIsTheSea » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:21 pm

I do appreciate what you are both saying, but I have ordered and paid for the parts now so had just as well fit them and... maybe they will get me by for another year (or less), we'll see. I just don't have £400 to drop on new wishbones at the moment. :( On top of this, I've also had the road tax. It would just be too much expense in a month!
ThisIsTheSea
Bongonaut

Post by ThisIsTheSea » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:57 pm

Right, have found a genuine Mazda pair of suspension arms on ebay for £299 delivered. I hope the guy I ordered the ball joints from is understanding at me wanting to cancel the order! :)
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:05 pm

Hi
To coin a phrase from "Del-Boy"....You know it makes sense =D> =D> =D> =D>
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
ThisIsTheSea
Bongonaut

Post by ThisIsTheSea » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:03 pm

It does indeed make sense! I removed the old wishbones this afternoon in readiness for the new ones arriving monday. To my horror found that the anti roll bars I had fitted 4 months ago also need replacing - rubbers split - one has play. Surprised they didn't pick this up in the MOT. My experience of unbranded parts has not been good. Waste of money and effort. :roll:

What a plonker, eh? :wink:
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:40 pm

Hi
When you've replaced the lot, it should perform well for years....I'm afraid that is seems that one set of components go, and the next in the chain go....I've replaced shocks, wishbones, top mounts, and rollbar bushes / droplinks. Apparently the top mounts don't often go, but having replaced the lot, it rides perfectly...that, and new rear shocks/ bushes/ droplinks / airbags, and checked out the rest of the rear, and the result is almost "new car" feel...whilst it has cost a bit, I intend to see it through a few more years, and not replacing the Bongo will actually save in the long run!. Sheer economics!
Cheers
Helen
ThisIsTheSea
Bongonaut

Post by ThisIsTheSea » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:05 pm

Yes, you're right about the "chain" thing, although hadn't expect drop links to go only 4 months after fitting, but I think I paid £15 for the pair, so err.... :oops: Have also recently done rear drop links and front/rear anti roll bushes. Fingers crossed for those - again, not genuine Mazda parts.

I've noticed the boots on the track rod ends are cracked. I just don't have time to do them now and they didn't pick those up in the MOT either - only visible once the wheel is off.

I am going to get a partial re-test after fitting the new wishbones and (again) drop links. Hoping that it will pass - it needs to as we are going on holiday to Devon next Saturday. Have no other way of getting there - 2 adults, 4 kids! Will do the boots on the track rod ends when we get back.

Thanks for your help and advice. :)
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:21 pm

When my lad took his Megane in last year for the MOT it failed on track rod ends, which he replaced ..

Took it for this years MOT .. failed again on .. track rod ends .. Georges the testers comment .. Chinese junk .. you where lucky to get a years service out of them ..

As he knows George he let my son use his spare ramp .. and another set (of hopefully better quality) where delivered with half an hour from the local Motor Facture ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:30 pm

I know some people wince at the cost of genuine parts, but when you consider many of the original compents have been on there for up to 18 years, that's a good indication of the quality of the materials used. You pays your money...
longhaul8
Tribal Elder

Post by longhaul8 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:33 am

I have to agree on the part front I was always told buy cheap buy twice.

We have the same at work with our trucks if the fitter fits cheap parts they fail again all to quickly if we use daf parts they cost more but last that much longer in the long run it works out cheaper.

And driving around in a 5 year old truck with over 1.5 million km on the the clock just proves it.
ThisIsTheSea
Bongonaut

Post by ThisIsTheSea » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:52 pm

The new wishbones arrived today, real Mazda ones with a Mazda sticker and part number on them. Installation went well - although I was held up with a snapped split pin. Test drove it and the steering is smoooooooth!! :D Booked the partial MOT re-test for Thurs afternoon. Hopefully the Meyle drop links will arrive tomorrow along with some boots for the track rod ends. Then I'm done and off on holiday!

Return to “Techie Stuff”