Headlight failure - rear, side and full beam fine

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

dblake
Bongolier

Headlight failure - rear, side and full beam fine

Post by dblake » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:55 pm

Hi all
Decided to travel down to Cornwall last night for the start of the family holiday (usually travel Saturday but decided to get an extra day be leaving early evening Friday #-o) but at about 2130 realised it wasn't so bright in front of the van. Pulled off at Tiverton, had a quick check and headlights were off. All other lights were fine (side, rear, full beam, dash lights). Did a cursory check of the fuses (after cursing a little!) and they all appeared fine too. So it was a call to Green Flag who arrived, checked all that they could too put to the point where it was very dark and no more could be checked at the roadside. We were then recovered to Bude on the back of a flat bed arriving at almost 3am :(

Had a quick look around the forums to try and work out what I should be checking; discounting fuses, bulbs and the actual control stalk, I'm thinking relay (passenger side front wing - nearest the cab). I've had a relay go before - one for the side/rear lights and replaced with a bongobits part.

Are all of the relays along that wing the same? If I swapped over the Headlight and Rear/Side relays would that be the test to confirm my assumption?
If I can pinpoint this as being the problem I could get the part shipped to my holiday address quite quickly.

Any advice would be gratefully received [-o<

I've no idea how long the lights have been out as in these Summer months I'm rarely out at night-time and only had to have sidelights on in the rain. My own fault for only checking oil/water/tyres before journeys.... #-o
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Re: Headlight failure - rear, side and full beam fine

Post by mikeWalsall » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:22 pm

A bad earth connections .. also Head light bulb plug is known to give problems ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... e&_sacat=0
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
dblake
Bongolier

Post by dblake » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:33 pm

Thanks for a speedy reply - try and take a look.

Also I should have mentioned it's an N reg (95/96)
dblake
Bongolier

Post by dblake » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:39 pm

Another update - Full beam on the switch doesnt work, but flash does.
More evidence of relay failure? If it is where would be the best place to get one?
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:00 pm

all the nearside ones are showing the same part number =D> . and the front 2 on the off side.
http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... no=.html#6
dblake
Bongolier

Post by dblake » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:04 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:all the nearside ones are showing the same part number =D> . and the front 2 on the off side.
http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... no=.html#6
Thanks for that. Am in Falmouth currently but will have time to swap over and test on Tuesday when in Bude.
If it is a dud relay anyone any recommendations for a supplier? Thanks in advance :-)

Return to “Techie Stuff”