Electric window switch.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bonnybobby
Apprentice Bongonaut

Electric window switch.

Post by Bonnybobby » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:40 pm

I need a new switch to operate the electric windows. Drivers side so there are two buttons. Any advice is appreciated.
Tony x
Tribal Elder

Re: Electric window switch.

Post by Tony x » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:15 am

The ones from the Mazda 323F (1994 - 1998) are the same (usually - there was a posh 323F with 4 switches).
They sell for a lot second hand as they fail if the door is open in the rain and they also break. Thus demand is high.
The switch unit does come apart - first remove the on / off button at its pivot, prize off the end of this button from the white internal switch top, then undo the single screw underneath and unclip. Take care with the internal on / off switch as there is a spring and ball inside that can fly apart.
Once in there, you may be able to fix it depending on what's wrong.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:53 am

Tony x wrote:The ones from the Mazda 323F (1994 - 1998) are the same (usually - there was a posh 323F with 4 switches).
They sell for a lot second hand as they fail if the door is open in the rain and they also break. Thus demand is high.
The switch unit does come apart - first remove the on / off button at its pivot, prize off the end of this button from the white internal switch top, then undo the single screw underneath and unclip. Take care with the internal on / off switch as there is a spring and ball inside that can fly apart.
Once in there, you may be able to fix it depending on what's wrong.
I fixed mine. Strongly advise dismantling in a bucket if you decide to try it, so small parts don't fly off and get lost.

Incidentally, I assume you're sure its the switch and not the wiring loom?
tim & angie
Bongonaut

Post by tim & angie » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:07 pm

The switch from the Mazda 323F is identical as Tony states, I replaced mine last year. Try e-bay or one of the on-line car breaker sites. If advertised for a Bongo they fetch silly money but the one I got (from a 323F) was about £25.00. Tim
blobber
Supreme Being

Post by blobber » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:37 pm

As Mike points out, it could be a broken wire, usually inside the rubber tube between the door and the frame. Quite a common fault.
Alan & Dot

Yes sir, I can Bongo !!

I now walk with an angel by my side.

Return to “Techie Stuff”