Timer switch?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bakerboy

Timer switch?

Post by bakerboy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:21 pm

Hello I am a new member and new owner of my first Bongo please can anyone tell me what the timer is for? it is just to the left of the steering wheel on the dashboard. thanks Lorna
sdemmery

Its for the Intercooler.. I think!

Post by sdemmery » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:26 am

Im Guessing its a timer fitted that when set, leaves your engine running after you remove the key?

If this is the case its likely to be a timer for the intercooler. I will probably get this wrong but the intercooler is part of the turbo, which has some oil filled bearings in it, if the turbo has been working hard & you stop the engine, the turbo will be hot & burn the oil in ther bearings out. :?:

The timer leaves the engine ideling & the intercooler going so that the turbo is cooled down slowly, preventing the oil in the turbo from burning & therefore prolonging the life of the turbo.

Am I right? anyone? :? Im a newbie to only had the bongo a few weeks!

By the way I should add, that I believe turbo timers are illegal in this country as they leave the engine running while the car is unattended. But then again a lot of things are illeagal, but it dosent stop some of us doing them :lol:

Cheers

Stuart
Bonza

Post by Bonza » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:36 am

Yep,
I reckon its a turbo cool down timer. Had one on a Townace.
Not a bad idea just bloody stupid to be able to leave the engine running with no one in the seat.
If weve been cruising fast on the motorways for miles we generally do the final few miles a bit slower to let the turbo cool down slowly.
Bonz
pippin

Post by pippin » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:38 am

Can confirm that these timers are illegal to use on the highway in UK/Eu.

It should have been removed at import/SVA.
Gingerbloke

Post by Gingerbloke » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:38 am

pippin wrote:Can confirm that these timers are illegal to use on the highway in UK/Eu.

It should have been removed at import/SVA.
Illegal to use on the public highway but it is not illegal to have one fitted. You can use it when you are on your own property. They are also a very handy tool to have on vehicles with larger turbos as a means to remind you not to turn of the engine, after a good long run and let the turbo cool down. The legality of them only comes into question if you have actually left the car, and it is running unattended.
bakerboy

Post by bakerboy » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:55 pm

Thanks everyone for the answers I think I will get it removed seeing as it is illegal. Going away for the first time in the bongo this week ! I may well have some more questions on my return. Thanks again. LORNA :wink:
Kentish Paul
Bongolier

Post by Kentish Paul » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:28 am

I think that is the right decision but DO NOT forget to let the engine idle for a minute after a short run, a couple after a long one. If pulling in for fuel on the motorway where it is not possible/advisable to idle the engine at the pumps, relax the speed for the last 10 miles or so.

This is to preserve the life of the turbo.

I find that this practice is easy to remember in practice.
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:09 am

Kentish Paul wrote:I think that is the right decision but DO NOT forget to let the engine idle for a minute after a short run, a couple after a long one. If pulling in for fuel on the motorway where it is not possible/advisable to idle the engine at the pumps, relax the speed for the last 10 miles or so.

This is to preserve the life of the turbo.

I find that this practice is easy to remember in practice.
Sorry to be a bit blunt here Paul but this 10 mile relaxation thingy is absolute overkill.

The turbine does run at very high speed, up to 100,000 rpm, but there is little mass in its internals so returns to zero very quickly.
The reason to keep the engine running is to ensure a supply of pressurised oil to the turbo bearings while it slows down.
Even after a motorway high speed run into a service station it is quite sufficient to let the engine idle for a minute or so before turning off - just enough time to dig your wallet out of the usual hiding place and to open the fuel flap :)
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
Kentish Paul
Bongolier

Post by Kentish Paul » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:31 pm

Dandywarhol: Don't apologise mate, I am interested and please to read your advice. I speak only from the advice I have been given and often find the procedure a pain in the neck.
Bongo National Party - The law-abiding should have rights too!
pyroman

Post by pyroman » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:51 pm

Hi,

I also have got one of these timers, I like the idea of protecting the turbo, can I have an override switch for when I am at a fuel station?

Kal

Return to “Techie Stuff”