Air con pipe torque

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Jimbob1979
Bongonaut

Air con pipe torque

Post by Jimbob1979 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:24 pm

Does anyone know the correct torque for the connection maked X in the below diagram where the pipes join?

http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... 1of02.html
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Air con pipe torque

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:25 pm

It's going to be tricky to measure torque on a nut onto which you cant get a standard torque wrench (due to the pipe in the way). As the fittings are aluminium, I would suggest you go easy with the spanner and stop when it wont easily go any more with a fairly light touch. I'm getting mine re-gassed tomorrow after blanking off the rear section, so I'll let you know if that approach works :).
corrour
Bongolier

Post by corrour » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:30 pm

How did you blank em off Simon?
I would walk 500 miles.
99 Tinted tintop
Supplied and looked after by Bongospares
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:55 pm

ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:35 pm

Simon

Just had mine regassed last week and it's Brill, wondering now what the advantage is of blanking off the rear?? Any chance of sharing your wisdom :?:
A Bongo is for life, not just for Christmas
thedogsbollox
Tribal Elder

Post by thedogsbollox » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:48 pm

ELZE wrote:Simon

Just had mine regassed last week and it's Brill, wondering now what the advantage is of blanking off the rear?? Any chance of sharing your wisdom :?:
I think the rear may have been leaking. Mine has the same problem and it seems a common problem
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:04 pm

As per my link above, I've removed it to fit an Eberspacher heater instead (yet to be completed). Unfortunately, my homemade aluminium brazing of the A/C pipes failed the pressure test :(, so I'll get it properly welded up during the week.
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:58 pm

Thanks for that Simon, I thought I was missing out on something? Must admit heating and cooling in the back is wasted on us as we only use the front anyway. I only had one passenger on a rear seat all year..
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:02 pm

ELZE wrote:Thanks for that Simon, I thought I was missing out on something? Must admit heating and cooling in the back is wasted on us as we only use the front anyway. I only had one passenger on a rear seat all year..

Hi ELZE,I find that the rear heating is very useful for drying things and helping the AFT tent from getting mould and helps prevent panel condensation when used occasionally..
ELZE
Supreme Being

Post by ELZE » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:00 pm

rita wrote:
ELZE wrote:Thanks for that Simon, I thought I was missing out on something? Must admit heating and cooling in the back is wasted on us as we only use the front anyway. I only had one passenger on a rear seat all year..

Hi ELZE,I find that the rear heating is very useful for drying things and helping the AFT tent from getting mould and helps prevent panel condensation when used occasionally..

well I would have to take your word for that as mine is a tinny! However blanking off the rear may cuase other probems. I had a leak which turned out to be 3 in total (but the other two may have been caused fixing the other one?)

and I renewed the pipes. It was expensivefrom Mazda but well worth it in my opinion. If anyone finds it difficult to obtain pipes and unions, if you know a good local fridge engineer he will be able to make them up for you at a reasonable cost? I had a one made up for a Landrover once cost me £25 when the dealer would have wanted around £60?? Sadly I moved and lost touch with him.

Return to “Techie Stuff”