Fuel filler neck seal

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

thedogsbollox
Tribal Elder

Fuel filler neck seal

Post by thedogsbollox » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:14 pm

I noticed while filling up that the seal around the filler neck has come adrift a bit. There is a bulky rubber seal at the top around the pipe and there is a softer, almost sponge like, seal under it. This seal is about 5 mm thick and as large as the widest part of the rubber seal on top. It is this softer spongelike seal that has become detached from where it should live and it is visible at the bottom half of the seal. Is this easy enough to take apart? does it seal the elements from the inner skin of the Bongo? This may explain my moisture ingress on that side and the resultant welding necessary on the MOT.
Coradia63
Bongonaut

Re: Fuel filler neck seal

Post by Coradia63 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:35 pm

Hi,

Mine was the same there is potential for the water to get in it is an easy job to do best done when your fuel tank is near empty you undo the screws around the filler neck the fuel cap side (I think there are 3) under the wheel arch remove the plastic cover over the filler pipe that drops down to the tank then remove the large & the small pipe hose clips and the small bolt that holds the metal filler pipe and pull out be care full not to let any dirt drop into the tank pipe or if its a petrol no smoking :lol: I made my own seal and used body sealer as well if you have never removed the cover you may find it wedged with mud!
1995 Ford Freda 2.5 TD 4x4 AFT
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:38 pm

thedogsbollox
Tribal Elder

Post by thedogsbollox » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:28 am

Cheers guys

Return to “Techie Stuff”