Fitted a new rad today but....?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Timothy
Apprentice Bongonaut

Fitted a new rad today but....?

Post by Timothy » Sat May 18, 2013 11:13 pm

Hi I've looked on here for a while but not really had anything to contribute as im fairly new to Bongos. I have seen over heating issues covered alot on here but im a bit stumped. When i got my Bongo about 6 months back the header tank was doing the coldron trick ive read about. It done it a few times and each time i topped it up and it hadnt been a problem since, (maybe an air lock?) even went to Devon a couple of times and down to somerset a couple of times too from where i live near Oxford with no trouble. so maybe it isnt related?
Anyhow, I was towing about 1.5 ton of ballast steadily about a mile across my very flat town (something i wouldnt normally do with the Bongo) and the radiator burst. I tried the magic potion but that didnt seal it so today i have fitted a new radiator. I havent bled the system yet but i have prepared to do it the way i have seen club members doing on youtube. Right, So, I've took the little stopper out the end of the bleed pipe under the passenger seat and engine oil has dripped out. Is this normal or is this a sign of further damage? ie cracked cylinder or blown head gasket? There has always been a bit of oil around the rocker cover but my MOT guy told me it wasnt anything to worry about? Reading other posts I wondered if i'd run low on transmission fluid and boiled it up? I'd love to know your thoughts on where to go from here? (especiallly as i've left it halfway through the job in the cemetery workshop where I work..... better have it gone by Monday morning!)
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Re: Fitted a new rad today but....?

Post by mister munkey » Sun May 19, 2013 10:33 am

Without wishing to sound alarmist I would suggest that this is not going to be a quick & easy job.
Engine oil in the bleed tube doesn't sound right and the chances are if you have had a few overheating episodes, some damage has been done to the head but if oil had got into the coolant it would turn into a frothy light brown mayonnaise like gloop. Someone else may have an idea as to what that might be.
If you have used a Magic Potion (assuming you mean Radweld or similar) that will have possibly clogged up the heater matrices and rest of the system too. It will certainly need a through flush or two before bleeding but I fear once that stuff is in there it's pretty permanent & will cause more headaches in the future.

In your shoes I would get it recovered to a garage who know Bongos. It'll be cheaper in the long run to get it thoroughly checked by someone who knows what to look for.

Best of luck with it Timothy. Keep us posted on your progress.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: Fitted a new rad today but....?

Post by teenmal » Sun May 19, 2013 11:05 am

Hi,before you connect the radiator to the system,the engine and associated components need to be pressure flushed,it would also be worthwhile inspecting the ATF for level and contamination ,just in case the cooler has popped.

It might also be helpful if you drain any remaining coolant into a container for inspection,if there is oil there it will float to the top.(normally)..

PS it is always worthwhile flushing out NEW radiators before fitting,(from the top and upside down.)

Return to “Techie Stuff”