Coolant header tank emtyting itself

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

SIMONI
Junior Bongonaut

Coolant header tank emtyting itself

Post by SIMONI » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:05 pm

My bongo has now started using about 1lt coolant every day!

I have checked for leaks and the only evidence I can find is orangy staining on the hoses from the header tank.

The dipstick is not showing signs of head gasket failure
starts and drives fine.
gauges gets up to temp fine and heaters work ok .
no dripping or leaks

any advice welcome
teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: Coolant header tank emtyting itself

Post by teenmal » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:47 pm

Hi, you have a leak and or your radiator/expansion cap might be goosed..(for a start).
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:03 pm

DO NOT DRIVE! until you fix this.

You should find it fast if you can follow this...
http://mazdabongo.wikispaces.com/Servic ... ant+System
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:34 pm

SIMONI wrote:My bongo has now started using about 1lt coolant every day!
teenmal wrote:Hi, you have a leak and or your radiator/expansion cap might be goosed..(for a start).
I 2nd teenmal.

Have a look when the engine is running after about 10 minutes or so..? Sometimes coolant gathers on the front cross member from a leaky rad then drops down... It did in my case a good while back! :wink:
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:42 pm

You are very very unlikely to find coolant in the oil in the event of head gasket failure. However, you may have white smoke at start up and / or excess pressure in the system causing coolant to be forced out the expansion tank overflow pipe.

What engine: diesel / V6 / 2.0?
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:19 pm

Simon Jones wrote:You are very very unlikely to find coolant in the oil in the event of head gasket failure. However, you may have white smoke at start up and / or excess pressure in the system causing coolant to be forced out the expansion tank overflow pipe.

It sounds like a Diesel Oil burner,does it make any difference what type of engine it is.?
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:30 pm

teenmal wrote:
Simon Jones wrote:You are very very unlikely to find coolant in the oil in the event of head gasket failure. However, you may have white smoke at start up and / or excess pressure in the system causing coolant to be forced out the expansion tank overflow pipe.

It sounds like a Diesel Oil burner,does it make any difference what type of engine it is.?
Not sure about the V6,but the 2ltr doesnt suffer with the coolant/head cooking problems that the diesel does

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:37 pm

Bongoplod wrote:
teenmal wrote:

Not sure about the V6,but the 2ltr doesn't suffer with the coolant/head cooking problems that the diesel does
Brian
Hi Brian,if it runs out of coolant I guarantee it Will. :D
SIMONI
Junior Bongonaut

Post by SIMONI » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:58 am

its a diesel
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:17 am

It does sound like head gasket is a possibility. My mechanic, the Bongo expert Adrian, advises that one rough and ready test for a pressuring system is to feel the radiator top hose after the engine has got up to temp. It is ok for it to feel firm, but if it is rock hard and can't be squeezed at all, then suspect a problem. Also, try switching off engine after a run. Leave it a bit to cool, so excess pressure in the system had a chance to force coolant into the bores, and then start engine, looking for signs of brief white smoke/steam from exhaust.

I think head gasket failure (and cost) in diesel Bongos needs to be got into proportion and seen as a type weakness that most cars have some kind of (i recall reading that some Rover engines are prone to gasket failure at around 40k miles, but are fine once repaired). It is not a death knell (Simon Jones, Dobby, Alan are just a few who can confirm that) nor is the cost much different from that which many cars might throw at their owners over a long working life. The repair should be done with care (worth looking up Simon's advice on flatting the block and head and to consider gasket sealant) but the fix should be permanent. A cracked head is more serious and more likely due to an underlying cause, which must be addressed. But again, if good quality parts are used and the job done properly.....
SIMONI
Junior Bongonaut

Post by SIMONI » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:49 am

Do you need any special tools to replace the head gasket, is it something a competent DIYer could do?

I'm not aware of anyone local who fixes bongos
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:04 pm

I'm a reasonably competent DIYer - I managed. It's fun!

You need a 12-point socket and a long bar for doing the head bolts and a good flat marble block for decking the block. I can't remember what else special I used - a deep socket for the injectors but I don't think you actually have to remove them. Unless your timing belt is brand spanking new, some suggest changing it when you're putting the head back on. New thermostat is a no-brainer. Some would go water pump too (water pump gasket common coolant leak point, difficult to spot).

Before you go removing the head, you really have to find your leak. If you're able to cold-pressurise the header tank to 10psi with a bike pump, it's going to come out somewhere. If it's not visible, then steam on engine start would be a great tell-tale.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
Tidmo
Bongolier

Post by Tidmo » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:09 pm

SIMONI wrote:Do you need any special tools to replace the head gasket, is it something a competent DIYer could do?

I'm not aware of anyone local who fixes bongos
You could try Fairview Garage in Cheltenham on 01242 515454
They look after mine and Roger has owned one himself.

Hope that helps
Pourquoi Pas?
SIMONI
Junior Bongonaut

Post by SIMONI » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:43 pm

Did a 30 mile round trip today after topping up, no smoke and temp gauge ok. On returning home I placed a card sheet underneath and coolant was dripping off the sump guard :D

Now removed sump guard and I still cant find leak. pretty sure its not head gasket now
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:12 pm

SIMONI wrote:Did a 30 mile round trip today after topping up, no smoke and temp gauge ok. On returning home I placed a card sheet underneath and coolant was dripping off the sump guard :D

Now removed sump guard and I still cant find leak. pretty sure its not head gasket now
Very encouraging news and fingers crossed for you :P [-o< 8)

Return to “Techie Stuff”