coolant loss

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

judaz
Bongonaut

coolant loss

Post by judaz » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:51 pm

Hi am losing coolant when i take the bongo on a good run. i did a 4 hour drive and have had to top with about a litre!

Have had the garage do a pressure test and all was fine. I have looked everywhere for a leak with no joy!

My next thing is to change the radiator and header tank caps if this does not work not sure what to do next!

Any ideas?
Hanksy
Bongolier

Re: coolant loss

Post by Hanksy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:02 pm

might only leak when the stat opens, go for a run and get it open and park on some cardboard see where the drips come from, mine was easy to spot it was jetting out lik ea water pistol, and the rad leaked when i went over 2.5k revs from between the plastic bit and metal bit, so take off the air ducting and have a good look for any signs
judaz
Bongonaut

Post by judaz » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:10 pm

Thanks for the tips

I have a uv dye in there as well. I have taken it for a run, the lower rad hose was hot so thermostat is open and still cant see any leaks anywhere!
M 80NGO
Supreme Being
Location: Usually in My own wibbly wobbly lill world ! Otherwise Huntingdon.

Post by M 80NGO » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:29 pm

Mine had a tiny pin hole in the hose that runs from the drivers side of the engine to feed the rear heater it only weeped when the engine was up to temp and the heatfrom the engine was evaporating most of it off, worth getting er up to temp lifting the drivers seat and taking a look.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:30 pm

if it passed a pressure test then it may be the water pump. these usually leak when running, pressure only doesnt usually allow them to leak, its the combination of rotation and pressure. get a dentist angle head mirror and look for a coolant trail down the casting coming from the telltale hole at the 6 oclock position on the pump.

Return to “Techie Stuff”