Changing Fuel Filter

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Halliebongo

Changing Fuel Filter

Post by Halliebongo » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:21 pm

Hi,
Could anyone tell me if the fuel filter is easy to change I have just got a filter kit and I am going to change the air, oil and fuel tomorrow.
Thanks Mike
Ozric

Post by Ozric » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:19 am

Yeah it's easy, but take it off the body for easier access and follow the instructions in the members area.
RobnKathryn

Post by RobnKathryn » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:41 am

Mike,

I changed mine on Saturday........couldn't find any instructions in the members area, but did a search on the forum and picked up a few tips, although no definitive instructions, so here's what I did:

1. I found it easier to work from underneath because I had the van on axlestands already for other work, but it can quite easily be done from above.

2. If you haven't found the fuel filter location yet; lift the drivers seat and you'll find it behind and below the air filter box.

3. I didn't remove the whole assembly from the body, but I think that is a probably a good idea, especially if filter is stiff.

4. You'll find there is a plastic screw on the bottom of the filter with a wires (sensor for the Sediment light on dash)coming out......DON'T UNSCREW THIS YET (Especially if you are working from underneath....I did and got covered in Diesel...still smell now!)

5. Trace the wires from this plastic screw back to the connector and disconnect at this point, so you can unscrew the filter without twisting wire.

6. Now unscrew the filter metal body with hand pressure if possible. I don't think mine had ever been changed before and was very tight and impossible to undo by hand. I found that it was just possible to get a chain wrench on it (especially for undoing stubborn oil and fuel filters....cheap from most motor shops like Halfords)....a bit of a struggle and requiring a bit of dexterity but if the filters tight it's the best way. The only other alternative is to hammer a screwdriver through the filter and unscrew it with that....BUT...there's very little room to get screwdriver, hammer and arm into the required position, and even if you were successful you'd end up with diesel p'ing out of the hole.

7. When filter is loose, unscrew it slowly...remember it's full of diesel so when you remove it don't tilt it at all.

8. Now you can pour the diesel from the old filter into a container. Then unscrew the plastic bit of the bottom of the filter. (This acts as a water drain from the filter, so if sediment light comes on and stays when you
are driving, just reach under installed filter and unscrew the plastic bit half a turn or so until water drains out, then screw up again)

9. Screw the plastic bit onto the bottom of the new filter, make sure the rubber o ring is in place on the top face of the filter and wipe with a bit of diesel. Clean the bit it screws up against then screw the filter on hand tight.

11. Attach the wires from plastic bit back onto connector.

11. OK it's done.....don't worry about priming the pump...it's self-priming so Bongo will start straight away.

12. Most household waste tips have a place for disposal of old oils/filters etc, please don't put in normal rubbish.

It's really much easier than these instructions would imply!

Good luck...........Rob (why use 1 word when a thousand will do) Wyatt
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:41 pm

Congratulations! You are the proud authors of a brand new members factsheet.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:26 pm

I discovered something (the hard way) on this too. On the bottom of the white plastic assembly there is a short pipe. If you connect a piece of tubing to this & carefully loosen the white assembly, it will drain the contents of the filter into a conveniently placed receptical, rather than trying to undo the full filter without spilling it. In my case, I missed that last vital bit & soaked myself with diesel.
Halliebongo

Post by Halliebongo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:19 pm

Hi

Thanks a lot Rob , The instructions where spot on and easy to follow.
I managed to change all 3 filters in less than 2 hours .
I dont think my fuel filter had ever been changed either.

P.S I still got soaked in diesel , I am too much of A rough a!?se.

Thanks again , Much Appreciated Mike

Return to “Techie Stuff”