Electrical troubles.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

neilmcp
Apprentice Bongonaut

Electrical troubles.

Post by neilmcp » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:52 pm

Help please, I live near Aberdeen and am looking for a kindly Bongo Electrics Magician/Mechanic. I have checked all the fuses, about the stretch of my technical know how, but still no running lights, front screen washer and dash illumination. Not particularly bothered at present as MOT not due for 6 months, but I'd like to take it out while raining at night and see and be seem. :lol:
PS heated rear window has never worked.
jaylee
Supreme Being

Re: Electrical troubles.

Post by jaylee » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:50 am

HI,

Well, that;s a fair old list...

Lets start with the "running lights"...

Do you mean side & tail? If so..?
Then they are interconnected with the whole dash illumination. If the dash is out then so are the lights.
I know you have been checking fuses. Have you looked at the 15amp fuse under the bonnet??

Then you may need to work out why this fuse has gone, like possibly a dodgy rear fog light switch fed from the dash loom shorting out or maybe a replaced bulb in the heater control/number plate light/rear heater control illumination has squashed the contacts in the bulb holder & shorted out??? Or an issue with an add on or "pimp"?
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
Grahame at work
Bongolier

Post by Grahame at work » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:49 pm

Hi Neil,

I could probably help out but this time next week I shall be in Portugal.
So meeting up is a problem just now - If you don't get anywhere in the next couple of weeks let me know and I'll see if I can help when I get back.

Regards Grahame
Joanie2 has had a sex change and is remaned Bert
The_Gordons
Bongolier

Post by The_Gordons » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:13 am

Hi Neil,

As Jaylee points out the rear side lights and the dashboard illuminations are both fed from a 15A fuse in the fusebox under the bonnet. This fuse on ours has blown before due to the towbar electrics.

I'm on the outskirts of Aberdeen and probably have some free time this weekend if you need any more help.

Paul
Bongo replaced by Wellhouse Terrier
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:47 am

With regards to the heated rear window...

Have a look at the connector at the back of the actual dash switch.. This loom has not got a lot of play to that switch & the connector may not be plugged in/come un-clipped & popped off (say for instance) when the mph dial or speedo chip was fitted on import??? But then it may have illuminated when the lights were on..?

Do you get a yellow rear demister lamp light come on in dial pod when it is switched on???

Or try the loom between the body & the rear tailgate...
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...

Return to “Techie Stuff”