Surging

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

DaveG

Surging

Post by DaveG » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:47 pm

Recently my Bongo has developed an unpleasant problem, surging. It doesn't happen all the time but is more frequent under load. The car feels as though I am pushing the accelerator up and down at about one second intervals. Each surge is accompanied by some smoke which varies according to load. i.e. uphill under load smokes more than on the flat under load. It is not through heavy acceleration as I tend to be very light footed. It is becoming more frequent and occurs almost every time I hit a slight incline whereas at first it tended to be on a steep hill only. Anyone had this experience or can suggest what direction to be looking apart from towards the Bank?
pippin

Post by pippin » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:08 pm

Is it your aircon cycling on & off due to lack of refrigerant?

My accelerator dips when I switch the aircon on, it is activated by a solenoid to compensate for the extra load.
Gary Appleby

Post by Gary Appleby » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:16 pm

Mine does the same as Pippin's

GJA
DaveG

Post by DaveG » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:34 pm

Thanks-I will try it tomorrow without the aircon, but the aircon has been working well even in the recent very hot spell.
DaveG

Post by DaveG » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:02 pm

I drove 20 miles without aircon and there was no smoke or surging, so I thought problem solved. However I returned with aircon switched on full blast and there was still no smoke or surging! I am off on a 350 mile round trip tomorrow and Thursday so I will try again. I think if I drive normally until the surging recurrs and then switch off the aircon that will be another indicator. I'll get the refrigerant checked and recharged anyway when I get back.
Thanks for your help
Dave
ChrisEm

Post by ChrisEm » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:47 pm

from adifferent angle it's not fuel starvation is it?
Seeker

Post by Seeker » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:03 pm

Check the air and fuel filter!
DaveG

Post by DaveG » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:36 pm

Seeker
The fuel and air fliters were both renewed about 500km ago and the surging started before that.
Chrisem
Would I still get the smoke if it was fuel starvation?
I have just completed 450 miles and the surging has occured only when the A/C is on so I'm getting it recharged.
On this run however I also noticed a big puff of smoke when I accelerated hard. At one point I kicked down hard at 40 mph on a motorway to get out of some slow traffic and all traffic behind me disappeared completely in a cloud!
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:11 pm

It could be that one of your injectors is sticking.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.

Return to “Techie Stuff”