A strange thing happened at B&Q

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Dave up north

A strange thing happened at B&Q

Post by Dave up north » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:55 pm

Mmmm.

Haven't used the Bongo for a week. But it has no alarm or immobiliser to drain the battery.
And yet...
... when I went to B&Q this morning to buy a hedge trimmer, the Bongo started ok (if a little sluggish on the starter).

The trip to B&Q is about half an hour, in traffic. Not much above 20 mph.

However, when I came out of B&Q, it would not start. Just went Rrrr Rrrr, click, click click, then nothing.

I hadnt left the lights on, the stereo was off. In fact, nowt to explain it.

So... Called my mate, who turned up half an hour later with his 1983 Mini Metro 1.0, with a battery on it the size of a fag packet (and an engine not much bigger).
Connected the jump leads and the Bongo burst into life, no problem.

He then put a voltmeter on it and it was pushing 13.05V with the engine running. Switched the engine off and it settled to 12.66V.

Brought her home and have just tried her after standing for about 5 hours. Voltage 12.6V Stable, and starts like a good un.

Why???

Anyone explain. I am a bit worried about it happening again.

Ta, Dave.
pippin

Post by pippin » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:15 pm

Voltage should be nearer 14.5V when the alternator is charging the battery.
bongolow
Bongolier

Post by bongolow » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:42 pm

How old is the battery? Mine deteriorated very quickly once it started to go. A friend of mine drove to the garage to fill up and when she came out of the shop after paying the battery was completely dead. Not on Bongos (haven't got it yet.. :( ) - these were both Skodas. No jokes please - bloody good cars! :D :D
bongolow
Bongolier

Post by bongolow » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:43 pm

How old is the battery? Mine deteriorated very quickly once it started to go. A friend of mine drove to the garage to fill up and when she came out of the shop after paying the battery was completely dead. Not on Bongos (haven't got it yet.. :( ) - these were both Skodas. No jokes please - bloody good cars! :D :D
bongolow
Bongolier

Post by bongolow » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:49 pm

Sorry about the double post - I got a 'General Error' message when I hit the 'submit' button and then I tried to edit the second one I keep getting this...

error messagesError in deleting post

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1036 Table 'phpbb_search_wordmatch' is read only

DELETE FROM phpbb_search_wordmatch WHERE post_id IN (42100)

Line : 419
File : functions_search.php
pippin

Post by pippin » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:38 am

I got a similar message last night - I assumed it was Klingon-speak!
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:12 am

It was site maintenance.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:53 am

dave i had the same problem when i first got my bongo.

i have the winterpack on mine and rather than going out and buying 2 new batteries, i took both them off and borrowed a battery charger, put both on charge for 12 hrs,put them both back on and they both have been fine since.

ive had the lights on for hrs at a time watched a dvd listened to the stereo all in the same weekend withought having to turn the engine.
Dave up north

Post by Dave up north » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:47 pm

Thanks Wayne.
I just dontthink I dare let Erin loose with the Bongo for a week or two. Or until I forget it happened.
She would be a bit stranded and I do care about her.
waycar8
Supreme Being

Post by waycar8 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:51 pm

take it off and charge it up overnight for 12 hrs and see how it goes.i thought erin drove the bmw.
Dave up north

Post by Dave up north » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:54 pm

She does. But as the Bongo is HER car, she lets me take MY Beema now and again.
Dave up north

Post by Dave up north » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:16 pm

BUM.

Went camping this week and the Bongo ran fine...

... Except, when we got to the campsite she wouldnt start, just turned over a couple of times. - Jump start with powerstation

Two days later (this morning) Started her up to bring the roof down - Started no problem. Lowered the roof then switched her off.

An hour later, after loading her up (all interior lights turned off while loading) tried to set off to go home - Rrr Rrr Rrr, click. Flat as a pancake again. - Jump start with powerstation again.

Drove home, no problem. Tried her on the drive. Started ok.

Is it possible for a battery to do this, or could it be the starter moter or something. Surely if its not the battery, connecting the jump starter to it would not make a difference.

p.s. When she has failed to start, I have forgotten to test the battery's power level with the tester. Probably because I have been just thinking about getting the bloody thing started.
Peg leg Pete
Supreme Being

Post by Peg leg Pete » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:25 am

Get your alternator and battery checked, I had the same problem, changed battery, but alternator was at fault, and did not charge new battery, had alternator serviced- good luck
Image Pete
Dave up north

Post by Dave up north » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:29 pm

Well. Spent ?75 quid on a powerpack jump starter. Just in case I got stranded.
Then, after the bloody van not starting on three occasions, I got the battery drop tested at the local tyre services.
10v then dropped to 6v.
New battery needed.
He looked at the old battery and said a ford transit one would do. Same cranking amps and all that.
?45
Wish I hadnt bought the blooming jump starter now.
Still. It has a 300w inverter to 240v and a built in light and tyre inflator so I guess it'll come in Andy.

Cheers or the input.

Big Dave
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:26 pm

Dave up north wrote:Well. Spent ?75 quid on a powerpack jump starter. Just in case I got stranded.
Then, after the bloody van not starting on three occasions, I got the battery drop tested at the local tyre services.
10v then dropped to 6v.
New battery needed.
He looked at the old battery and said a ford transit one would do. Same cranking amps and all that.
?45
Wish I hadnt bought the blooming jump starter now.
Still. It has a 300w inverter to 240v and a built in light and tyre inflator so I guess it'll cum in Andy.

Cheers or the input.

Big Dave
I wouldn't like to be Andy :shock:
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690

Return to “Techie Stuff”