Expansion Tank constantly needs filling up!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

conmai
Bongonaut

Expansion Tank constantly needs filling up!

Post by conmai » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:12 pm

Hi All,

Looking for a little advise, I have a 95 Friendee, had it now for 6 years and we have put 1000's of miles on it, including several long trips to Europe. About 1.5 years ago we had some cooling system issues, which resulted in a new water pump, hose and radiator. Since then we have noticed that the coolant level often needs filling up this is also noticeable when using the heating as no heat will come through if the coolant level is low.

Firstly there are no leaks at all, the oil colour\mixture looks fine, I've taken it to two garages and both confirmed that there are no leaks in the system and neither do they see any evidence of water\coolant getting into the engine. Both garages have assumed that there is a possible issue with the Cylinder head or Head Gasket but neither are quite sure what it is, one theory was that there was a crack or very minor warping which is resulting in the water\coolant level escaping as steam?

If anyone can provide some thoughts on what may be occurring or suggestions on actions I can take it would be a great help...My main concern is that with this issue I'm not all that confident in the van getting me to the South of France and back in August!

Thanks all!
1997 Mazda 2.5TD 4WD AFT (Current) - The Red Slipper!
1995 Mazda 2.5TD 2WD AFT (2007- 2014 RIP)
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Re: Expansion Tank constantly needs filling up!

Post by Diplomat » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:01 pm

conmai wrote:
....I've taken it to two garages and both confirmed that there are no leaks in the system and neither do they see any evidence of water\coolant getting into the engine.
It must be going somewhere!

Did they check the heater matrix(es)? It could be escaping as a fine mist and leaving no tell tale drips anywhere. Mine was thowing out steam along the top metal to plastic radiator seam. If it is doing something similar in one of the heaters it may not get noticed easily.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:01 pm

Do you get white smoke out the back
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
hijimhere
Tribal Elder

Post by hijimhere » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:07 pm

Did your garages pressure test the cooling system warm? Heaters going cool are possible air in the system - if air is getting maybe water is getting out.

Not to sure about the garages being able to say there is no water getting in the engine. If getting in the oil you can expect some milky sludge in the cooling system. The only way I know for sure to find out if there could be any cylinder head or head gasket issues is to test the coolant for hydrocarbons.

This is called a BLOCK TEST and it detects if there is transfer of hydrocarbons (fuel/exhaust) into the coolant. It's expensive stuff and not a commonly held in the everyday workshops. The substance is a dark blue liquid, you add sufficient coolant and watch for a colour change. You are looking for a green - the lighter the green the more contaminants are in the cooling system. a minor change in the blue means there is no leakage of hydrocarbons into the cooling system.

The industry uses a threshold of up to one litre per 1000 km - if this is met/exceeded remedial works are said to be necessary!
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:25 pm

Hi conmai,do you have an auto box vehicle,if so (a bit of a see-saw answer)it might be worthwhile checking the fluid for water.

Another thing,there is a core plug at the rear of the engine,if it leaks the coolant will go into the bell housing and might be difficult to spot.

Good luck.
M 80NGO
Supreme Being
Location: Usually in My own wibbly wobbly lill world ! Otherwise Huntingdon.

Post by M 80NGO » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:45 pm

Sounds exactly the same as mine was, no drips no leaks but using coolant, the garage who diagnosed mine had to do a whiffer test for 30 mins as the leak was so small from the head gasket, coolant was leaking down the exhaust port and being burnt off by the heat, had the head and gasket replaced and she hasn't used a drop since.

Return to “Techie Stuff”