rear heater

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Baz and Helen
Bongonaut

rear heater

Post by Baz and Helen » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Hi again, I wonder if anyone can help, we had to replace the radiator weve bled the system but the rear heater wont get warm. the rear heater has never worked since weve had the van. Im wondering what else we can check. many thanks Baz znd Helen
hammy67
Bongonaut

Re: rear heater

Post by hammy67 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:19 pm

could be a air lock , or it might not ven be connected anymore some people bypass them if they get a leak or it could even be blocked up
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:24 pm

Pop your head under, just behind the driver's door and look up. You should see either 0, 2 or 4 pipes disappearing up through into where the rear heater and aircon sits.

The two fore-most are coolant, the two rear-most are smaller bore and aircon.

Tell us what you see, or take a pic if you're able.

Matt.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
Baz and Helen
Bongonaut

Post by Baz and Helen » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:28 pm

Hi Matt have looked underneath there are only 2 pipes, which I presume are air con pipes.
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:59 pm

OK, sounds like the rear-heater has been disconnected, explaining why you can't get it to go hot. ;)

If you have another look, a little bit forward from there and in a bit, you should be able to identify a couple of metal pipes hanging down on brackets - one going forwards along under the driver and one going round the back of the engine. One of them might be a T-junction iirc - my memory of the layout of all this is a bit hazy... You should either see that they have been blanked off, or connected together. If the latter, it will either be a single rubber hose, or perhaps two joined together in the middle somehow.

It's all a bit academic working out what work was done - but you should easily be able to determine which of the above it is, just to confirm.

And that's it - you can leave it there, I think.

Unless you want to reintroduce the rear heater... at which point you should somehow pressure test it before connecting it up.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:06 pm

This is what you might see if it's been bypassed:

Baz and Helen
Bongonaut

Post by Baz and Helen » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:47 pm

thanks for all your help will check it out tomorrow
oilyrag
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by oilyrag » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:30 pm

I cheated and cut a small square out around where the rear heater pipes drop tho the floor than cut the bottom out of the heater box to draw the rad out,replaced rad, glued the heater box bottom on then re-fitted the square with a new piece of tin,re-undersealed and now i heat in the rear!!! happy children..

mark

Return to “Techie Stuff”