Embarrassing Squeak !

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

cookan
Bongolier

Embarrassing Squeak !

Post by cookan » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:16 pm

Hi guys,
I've recently developed a rather embarrassing squeak so tried to identify it this afternoon. The most obvious place when I hold a pipe to my ear (and against various parts of the suspension) seems to be the droplink (drivers side)..can actually feel the vibration by hand also...can't really feel or hear noise against the shocks...less noise against the ARB itself than the droplink..and although my lower ball joint rubbers are perishing (not holed...just on their way), I can't pinpoint noise there...

Will I be wasting my time taking them off tomorrow..cleaning them up and refitting them ? There's no play in them from what I can see, so although I could replace them for the 20 quid they are..no sense if there's a simple grease fix...the ARB bushes all seem good with no cracks so I imagine they've been changed relatively recently also (had the van under a year).

I did try some silicone spray that I had handy to no avail.

much to my wifes delight, you seem to have to lift the car to generate the squeak as no amount of her bouncing down seemed to make it happen unless she physically pulled the bumber up as well..

thanks,
Ant.
Tip: plastic waste pipe makes a great stethoscope..but works better if you hold the pipe against the object (so that it vibrates) rather than 'pointing' it in the general vicinity of the things you're trying to listen to.
Tip2: don't let your 4 year old look after the pipe whilst you're under the car and she's near a muddy puddle.
1995 M reg 2WD AFT in green/grey (and an Oakley Thermonuclear Protection decal for some reason!)
321Away
Tribal Elder

Re: Embarrassing Squeak !

Post by 321Away » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:07 pm

Have a look at the plastic shield bit in front of the scavenger fan, ive seen that rub and make squeaks before!!

Julian
cookan
Bongolier

Post by cookan » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:17 am

cheers, I'll take a look at the same time...once the snow stops !
1995 M reg 2WD AFT in green/grey (and an Oakley Thermonuclear Protection decal for some reason!)
cookan
Bongolier

Post by cookan » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:57 pm

opened up another thread on my problems changing to meyle hd droplinks, but having today removed the old droplink on the drivers side, rotated it a few times, shook it a few times..there is some play in it (in and out kind of play)..I had to refit the old droplink as I couldn't get the nuts on the meyle hd to tighten down enough but the squeek has temporarily gone so at least I'm on the right track !

http://igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/view ... =3&t=59856

thanks,
Ant.

Return to “Techie Stuff”