Fuel sender unit

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

RobEvans
Bongolier

Fuel sender unit

Post by RobEvans » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:06 pm

If I could have so experience and comments please.
Going to put viynal flooring in van is it worth replacing the sender unit or just doing the earth mod. I have a 1996 2.5 diesel . Have had no issues with it. Thanks for your help. Rob
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: Fuel sender unit

Post by helen&tony » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:38 pm

Hi
I replaced mine some years back, and what I'd say is cut a hatch in the vinyl, and seal it down neatly with matching coloured silicon...It looks OK if you mask it off when siliconing...I've done that on the bath at home with a plumbing inspection hatch in a tiled bathroom....you can't see it!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:58 pm

when the usual earth fault occurs, even if you have a brand new sender it will still register as faulty! In my experience ive only ever seen 1 faulty sender and hundreds of earth faults, ground the tank and chances are you'll never have a problem

Julian
mentaliss
Bongolier

Post by mentaliss » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:52 pm

Mulletman wrote:If I could have so experience and comments please.
Going to put viynal flooring in van is it worth replacing the sender unit or just doing the earth mod. I have a 1996 2.5 diesel . Have had no issues with it. Thanks for your help. Rob
Because of the inaccuracy and poor quality of the sender unit match to the like wise dash unit I thought, wrongly, by purchasing a new sender unit and installing it (plus all the earthing mods) it would resolve the issue of such, I did this before I laid the new flooring, I didn't cut out the hatch area for three reasons, more work, original unit been in the vehicle over ten years, plus you would still be able to get to the sender unit by releasing the fuel tank..... 8)
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:42 pm

Maybe worth replacing the fuel line before doing the floor though....? Check this out & scroll down.... http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =3&t=33920

Did mine on my 95 plate a while back....
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
kentait
Bongonaut

Post by kentait » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:15 pm

earthing the fuel tank near the rear offside wheel worked for me, cheap too.

ken
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:44 am

I would replace the short fuel lines that connect the sender to the fuel system, mine had just started to perish. Other than that I wouldnt worry
I have a working spare sender if any one needs one?
RobEvans
Bongolier

Post by RobEvans » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:52 pm

Thanks for all your replies. My plan is do the earth mod, replace the short fuel lines and leave a hatch in the floor thanks to everyone cheers rob

Return to “Techie Stuff”