Rear Taigate Door Light Switch

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

windywatson
Tribal Elder

Rear Taigate Door Light Switch

Post by windywatson » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:26 pm

Hi,

Anyone know where the tailgate door switch is that turns on the rear (on back door pilar) interior light? I've looked all around the door & the recess it closes into & cant find one.

cheers
Windy-Watson
2001 V6 Tin Top
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Rear Taigate Door Light Switch

Post by g8dhe » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:43 pm

The connector for the switch is shown central rear I3-02, but not sure that I have seen it there myself even!
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:45 am

Hi
I can't remember looking, to be honest, but many such lights in other cars are switched by the rear door catch. Open the hatch and close the catch with a large diameter screwdriver....that'll tell you. Don't forget to open the catch again :)
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:33 am

It does earth through the tailgate catch to door (which acts as the negative door switch.) & then onto the chassis....

If you pull the tailgate catch handle when opening the light may flash momentarily prior to opening the tailgate & pulling it open, then lose its ground..? Its only when the latch is open it should make "continuity"...

I found a lot of crud & old Jap news paper bunging my catch up, it took a far bit of cleaning...

With the tailgate open, put your finger on the catch (Not in the catch mechanism.) & give it a jiggle/tap.. The lamp may also momentarily come on, or even stay on?

Though if you get no earth at all, it could be the wire in the loom from the body to the tailgate..?? :roll:
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:02 pm

I seem to recall there being a tailgate open warning light on the dashboard when the ignition is on, but I may be getting mixed up with another vehicle in the fleet.
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:45 pm

Your right Simon, (Well, at least on my 95 tintop.) there is a door open warning light & the tailgate is included in this feature...

In fact a while back i could see this red light on the dash flashing momentarily.. I stopped thinking it was the oil warning?
It only flickered briefly for me to notice. As i pulled over i bumped a pothole in the gutter & that's when i realized what it was... My tailgate wasn't shut properly... :oops:
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:17 pm

its like lots of modern cars, its built into the boot catch itself, if you latch it with a screwdriver you'll see the light go out etc, come on when you pull the handle.

Julian

Return to “Techie Stuff”