Fuel Leak......

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

macruryanne
Junior Bongonaut

Fuel Leak......

Post by macruryanne » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:40 pm

Hello!
New on here so a bit nervous....but wee bit advice needed please! Had our Bongo since June last year...love her to bits and dont want anything to be wrong with her....HOWEVER she has developed a fuel leak. Hasnt seemed to affect performance or really bother me except that the kids can always tell where I've been. She is due an MOT now in January and is also due Cam Belt changing so we approached a local garage to see if they could do the servicing and repairs needed. They said that the leak is from the fuel pump and that to get it out they need to take the whole engine out.....! Please tell me they are wrong! Their quote for work providing no screws broke (old vehicle etc etc) was for £1700. We live in Northern Ireland if anyone knows a garage even remotely near that they could recommend....any excuse for a night away! Or should a decent mechanic be able to do it if print off the relevant fact sheets and give it to them??
My husband is fairly mechanically minded but not willing to tackle it himself...unfortunately!
any advice greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance
Anne :D
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Re: Feul Leak......

Post by Muzorewa » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:54 pm

Welcome to the Land of Bongo :wink:

Definitely not an engine-out job for the pump or cambelt. I'm sure others will be along shortly with some more guidance but the garage are pulling your leg.
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:57 pm

I understand that there are easy fuel pump seals (can be done in situ) and a difficult fuel pump seal (pump out) - neither involves removing the engine. There are folks on here who know all about them - you shouldn't have to wait too long for some more help.

In the meantime, here's some reading... http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 43&t=53573

Worth seeking out a Bongo friendly garage as this one clearly doesn't know what they're on about.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:59 pm

Hi macruryanne,the fuel pump might need to be removed depending on the seal/s that are leaking,but the engine certainly does not.Don't know any garages in NI but I don't fancy this one.

Best of luck..
macruryanne
Junior Bongonaut

Post by macruryanne » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:17 pm

Good to know....at least I can talk about it with an air of confidence now. Thank you! I just went there because they were a Mazda garage but they've probably never heard of a Bongo. They're even more "special" over here. Only seen 1 other in this area and as yet not had a chance to run after them and say "Hello.......and by the way who services your Bongo?" But the next time I see it......its white and in Strabane somewhere....I will.
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:31 pm

Try contacting other Bongo owners in Northern Ireland via the Irish section of this forum to see if they can recommend a Bongo Friendly Garage to you. Worth a try.

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... m.php?f=46

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
Titan1995
Tribal Elder

Post by Titan1995 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:57 pm

If a 2.5WLT engined vehicle....fuel pump removal is not a hugely difficult job.

I removed mine and had a complete seal replacement.

Cost me £275 for the pump overhaul. Labour was down to me though.

Will need a replacement timing belt and tensioner at this time if the pump is removed.

The Bosch guy that did mine said "Oh it is a Ranger Pump"....
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:08 pm

If they're doing a cam belt, they're half way to removing the pump anyway!!
then the 2 seals can be raplaced on the bench in about 10 mins. (ps, they're the same size as the O-rings that are supplied with a fuel filter!!)
try and see where the leak is tho as if its the rear inner seal, thats a major overhaul job
If your hubby is mechanically minded it really isnt that difficult a job to remove the pump, if its the inner or out seals they can (as said) be done in situ, tho slackening the pump does give u a lot more access.

Julian
macruryanne
Junior Bongonaut

Post by macruryanne » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:32 pm

Thanks for all the help guys! He was talking about a friend that might help him so if I gather all the info then I will MAKE HIM READ THIS!!! And maybe we'll get sorted. I also posted on the Irish section just to make contact with other owners. :D
I suppose to get the ball rolling I'll go ahead and order seals and cam belt from thebongo shop....
Anne :)
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Post by The Great Pretender » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:43 pm

321Away wrote:try and see where the leak is tho as if its the rear inner seal, thats a major overhaul job
Julian
This seal is replaceable without stripping the pump, makes sense to do the front seal too while the pump is off. :wink:
To infinity and beyond
Titan1995
Tribal Elder

Re: Fuel Leak......

Post by Titan1995 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:49 pm

Hold off on ordering seals.....Bosch Diesel dealers normally have them.
The Great Pretender
Supreme Being

Post by The Great Pretender » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:39 am

Got mine from this company, I think Dandy origionally recomended them. :wink:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130709445203; ... 26_rdc%3D1
To infinity and beyond
macruryanne
Junior Bongonaut

Post by macruryanne » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:37 pm

Now an update.....fuel pump seals replaced cam belt done and some other bits and bobs but now has no power.....cam bellt been checked again and mechanic sure that's not the problem. So could it be the injector pump? Would it maybe need reconditioned or replaced and how do you know which??? Also a leak from the steering rack! I wonder if that's a repacement job or I noticed you can buy seals for that too. Mot today.........not looking good! Any help greatfully recieved ! Many thanks from Anne
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:07 pm

Hi
Which mechanic did you use?...hopefully not the original one who was quoting an engine-out job for doing the pump?????...some detailed symptoms might help with the question of "lack of power"...regarding the steering rack...where's the leak?
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
macruryanne
Junior Bongonaut

Post by macruryanne » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:45 am

Hi there
Our Bongo passed the MOT last night! Still needs the steering rack looked at but dont think they noticed theleak. seems to be running better now and no leaks from fuel pump so maybe thats resolved. It was a friend who is a mechaninc ( not a freebe we have used him to service another car and fully expectng a big bill as he did timingbelt etc and changed the speedo but he wont be ripping us off :) He seems to be quite confident and interested in her so i'd say we have found someone to look after her. And hes happy to look for info on line rather than muddling on.
Not sure where the leak is but I think his opinion is that its worn and replacing seals might not be enough. new one seems to be about£200.
So think thats the next step but hoping to chance a 2 hr drive to Belfast tomorrow???!!! Will bring oil with us. Might worry a wee bit but at least we will be legal!
Do you live in Bulgaria? We have an apartment in Bansko if you fancy some skiing? (oops this is meant to be all technical stuff!)

Return to “Techie Stuff”