Replacing rear tailgate bulbs. New shape 2003.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

dunslair
Supreme Being

Replacing rear tailgate bulbs. New shape 2003.

Post by dunslair » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:36 pm

Hi Folks.

Do you really need to take the whole of the rear door internal linings, door handle, pull handle, plastic protection, whole light panel and number plate panel and side lights off to replace a bulb? Am I missing something simple here? How hard can it be? Gave up after I started to lose feeling in my hands and was dropping nuts, screws etc into 6" of snow. Has anybody replace one before? (These are not the rear light clusters I am talking about, but the rear reflector lights either side of the number plate in the actual tailgate) Any pointers greatly welcomed.

Cheers

David.
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Re: Replacing rear tailgate bulbs. New shape 2003.

Post by MountainGoat » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:59 pm

David, this has come up before. See this thread:

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... bs#p489233

Tony

PS: use the search facility you lazy so and so. #-o
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:05 pm

MountainGoat wrote:David, this has come up before. See this thread:

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... bs#p489233

Tony

PS: use the search facility you lazy so and so. #-o

Less lazy and more disbelief Tony. I cant believe its such a faff just to change a ruddy bulb! :evil: Did you have a hand in the design by any chance? I wouldn't put it past you just to wind me up......

ps Happy new year mate. :lol:
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:07 pm

More info http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =+tailgate & a diagram: http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... 3of03.html

There are only 2 sidelight bulbs in the tailgate & they are supplementary to the main clusters so it may be worth considering fitting good quality LED replacements if you don't plan on taking the panel off again. Not a great design from Mazda, but I used to have an Audi A4 & to change any bulb you would have to remove the entire light unit inc the head light. In fact, the glovebox manual said you had to take the vehicle to a main dealer to change a bulb. I used to get Audi Assist to come out & do it for me :roll:.
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:23 pm

Thanks for the links Simon. I had already looked at the lush projects diagram to check if i was missing something simple...... but alas no. i dont recon all the nylon clips and scrivets will take removing too many times, so LED may be the way to go....... or just disconnect them both, but i do like the extra illumination they give. :D hey ho..
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:39 am

iirc are the bulbs 501 type and are accesible from inside, if you remove the tailgate inner panel. they're tuck away right in the corners in push n twist fittings and are a pain to get in and out

Julian
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:32 am

321Away wrote:iirc are the bulbs 501 type and are accesible from inside, if you remove the tailgate inner panel. they're tuck away right in the corners in push n twist fittings and are a pain to get in and out

Julian
Thanks Jullian. I could not work out that they were 'push n twist', so will have another go when my hands are a little less cold. I was finding it hard to believe that I had to take the whole 'light cluster' off the tailgate to change a bulb #-o

cheers

David.

Return to “Techie Stuff”