oil light

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

neil/di
Bongolier

oil light

Post by neil/di » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:27 pm

Could someone please tell how long the oil light should stay on for as mine stays on for up to 4 secs when cold is this normal
thanks
Neil
A Bongos is not just for christmas
neil/di
Bongolier

Post by neil/di » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:08 am

all my lights go out before the oil light,I,m a bit worried that my oil pump is not working properly and that the oil pressure might be a bit low.we are on holiday at the end of the week and I would like to feel a bit more confident about the trip. does anyone think that an oil aditive might help
Neil
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:49 am

My oil light stays on for about 1 second longer than the others. It's always done this, and I haven't had any problems in 16 months.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
Bonza

Post by Bonza » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:59 am

Assuming you've checked the oil contents are ok. Nearside engine bay. Don't confuse it with the gearbox dip stick in the offside bay!
Not sure if the Mazda oil filter has a non return valve in order to trap oil in the filter so that it doesn't drain away. I found that cheapo filters can be without this feature. Try and obtain a genuine Mazda filter and fit it as a first bet. Change the oil as well with the recommended spec. Avoid cheapo oils until you've eliminated this route.

With the engine cover up and engine cold, start up and listen for a change in noise as the oil light goes out. Any doubt you could probably fit an adapter where the oil pressure light sender is and attach a sender to a proper oil pressure gauge.

Without any strange noises on start up I would think that 4 secs cold is ok. Mine is probably that.
Hope this helps
Bonz
neil/di
Bongolier

Post by neil/di » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:19 am

thanks Bonza there is no strange noise on start up, the engine noise changes slightly as the light goes out .It had a full service by Ian Taylor of jap car imports about 1000 miles ago so I hope being a Bongo expert he used the correct oil and filter
Neil

Return to “Techie Stuff”