Cold start

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Rebiam
Bongolier

Cold start

Post by Rebiam » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:07 pm

Hi all - never had any problems starting at all, ever, but this morning I did my usual startup routine - key in to warm up glow plugs, then seatbelt, put the mirrors out, argue the kids into their seats then turn her over and off we go. This morning when it came to turning the key to fire her up there was just a click. Tried again - another click. Got out - leaving the ignition on and scraped the windscreen then tried again and after struggling to turn over she fired. Also whitish smoke from the exhaust for a few minutes - condensation or something more sinister? I went camping at the weekend so she had a long run on Friday, sat until Sunday p.m. but started 1st time, then a long run home. Quick trip Monday night and unused Tuesday so unlikely to be the battery - glow plugs?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers
'98 Green over Silver 4WD AFT

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

teenmal
Supreme Being

Re: Cold start

Post by teenmal » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:15 pm

Hi,sound like starter motor (contacts) and or battery(leads/terminals).

I would not worry to much about the white smoke,its quite normal in very cold weather.
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:26 pm

Agree - starter motor contacts failing would give just a click. I have a repair set - there are two starter types (2kw and 2.2kw, iirc). The former is repairable, the latter is sealed. Typically, the latter is fitted to 'northern' models with the engine warmer switch (exhaust baffle), two starter batteries, etc... There's a factsheet in the members area with pictures. PM me if you'd like me to send you the contact repair kit.

Note, glowplugs light stays on for 5-odd seconds, glowplugs usually about 15 - you'll hear the relay click off again. It'll all cool down again if you leave it to scrape the windscreen without warming the glowplugs again - this would give a very lumpy start.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
Rebiam
Bongolier

Post by Rebiam » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:52 pm

Thanks for the quick replies. I have had a look at the fact sheet and watched the video - all looks pretty straight forward. However - I have a Northern model and have replaced the second battery with a leisure battery with Willington Kit. Am I correct in thinking I can't repair this? Also how long do people think I have got before the starter motor packs up, and is it feasible to replace the heavy duty one with the standard type?

Cheers
'98 Green over Silver 4WD AFT

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:59 pm

could just be a bad battery or one needs a good charge
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:02 pm

Northern model CANNOT be rebuilt and YES they can be replaced with the other model, there isnt really a way to predict how long it has left? pick up a recon unit and throw it in there,last thing u wanna do is wait til it packs up and ur stuck in the middle of nowhere!!
M 80NGO
Supreme Being
Location: Usually in My own wibbly wobbly lill world ! Otherwise Huntingdon.

Post by M 80NGO » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:51 pm

wonkanoby wrote:could just be a bad battery or one needs a good charge
x2 I'd Defo make sure the battery is sound with good clean tight connections and the alternator is charging correctly before you go taking out alternators next time it does it run some jump leads over from the leisure battery to see if she starts with a boost, glow plugs suck a lot of power on cold mornings and if your doing less than 10 miles after start up then your taking more out than your putting in.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:57 pm

See this link for photos of the different type of starter motor. They look different but as far as I know they are interchangable.

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... t=+starter

Return to “Techie Stuff”