niggles...

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Stew71
Bongonaut
Location: Portsmouth - proud home of the southernmost motorway in the UK. And some ships.

niggles...

Post by Stew71 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:57 am

Hi there! I've been collecting a couple of niggles to try and deal with. Any ideas/suggestions will be greatly appreciated (as always).

First, can someone point me to the rev counter sensor? Our counter jogs around a lot and often falls to zero. When this happens, the hold light flashes slowly. I understand that this is fairly likely to be a sensor issue.

Next, we've had to replace the front washer motor 4 times in 2 years. I'm guessing some kind of electrical/wiring problem is likely?

Last, if we occasionally have a full load (eg 6+ people) we notice a knocking from the underside which comes and goes but always comes back! Does this sound like a suspension problem or similar?

(We have a 97 diesel 4wd automatic, old shape, if that's relevant)

Thanks for any thoughts.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: niggles...

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:55 am

The engine speed sensor is on the drivers side of the engine by the cambelt. You could try cleaning the connections, but other than that, only other option is to get a replacement which is quite expensive.

When you have replaced the washer pumps, have you tested the old ones by connecting 12v directly? If the pump does not work, then it sounds like you've just been unlucky as there is no wiring problem that could damage the motor. The pumps can often be repaired, so next time it happens try following the info on the forum.

The knocking could be anything such as drop links, anti roll bar bushes or the exhaust hitting the rear axle. Probably need to get it up on ramps to have good poke around all the moving parts.
Stew71
Bongonaut
Location: Portsmouth - proud home of the southernmost motorway in the UK. And some ships.

Post by Stew71 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:17 pm

Brilliant, thanks for the info and helpful pic.
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:20 pm

rev counter sensors fail once they warm up, so if yours is working for first 10 mins or so then dropping off the sensor usually needs to be replaced.

There are 2 types of knock from a bongo, a metal knock is the drop links, a thud is the anti roll bar bushes, swap the lot out and be done with it and you'll have miles of silent driving

Julian
windywatson
Tribal Elder

Post by windywatson » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:44 pm

Hi,

Another reason for knocking at the rear when fully loaded could be Suspension bottoming. Is the knocking occuring on very rough roads, sleeping policeman/traffic calming humps? If it is suspesion bottoming you will be able to see marks on the top of the back axel where the rubber stops come into contact with it.
I've had simmilar & put it down to the fact that being more than 10 years old the coil springs are showing thier age. Have Installed air lift suspension on one of my vans that stopped the problem, and actually improved handling. You can get air lift kits for Bongos for about £100, well worth it.

Cheers

Richard.
Windy-Watson
2001 V6 Tin Top
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:48 pm

Stew71 wrote:Next, we've had to replace the front washer motor 4 times in 2 years. I'm guessing some kind of electrical/wiring problem is likely?
I know folk here have rebuilt seized washer motors, but if your replacements are going too then perhaps there's something to be found... is the drain plug in the plastic trim under the windscreen clear? If not, you'll get rainwater dropping into the underbonnet bay, but I'm not sure if it's anywhere near the pump or its wiring. Just a thought.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.

Return to “Techie Stuff”