metal coolant pipes

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

hammy67
Bongonaut

metal coolant pipes

Post by hammy67 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:08 pm

has anyone removed the metal coolant pipe that runs from the front heater/expansion tank through to rear heat the pipe also has a tee off to the adaptor on the head that has the bleed hose

if so how the hell did you do it lol any advice
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: metal coolant pipes

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:51 pm

never done one but ive looked at it having done a few on the other side that are pigs to do. i would possibly do it all through the front, by removing the rads and grill etc and slide it out forward. #-o #-o #-o . or maybe jack and prop the engine then remove the engine craddle and mounts, then you maybe able to tip it out.

the way i do the other side is to jack one end high up, either front or back, this gives you room to screw it around the obstacles whilst keeping the trailing lower end off the floor

good luck and keep us posted. :wink:
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:32 am

Northern Bongolow wrote:never done one but ive looked at it having done a few on the other side that are pigs to do. i would possibly do it all through the front, by removing the rads and grill etc and slide it out forward. #-o #-o #-o . or maybe jack and prop the engine then remove the engine craddle and mounts, then you maybe able to tip it out.

the way i do the other side is to jack one end high up, either front or back, this gives you room to screw it around the obstacles whilst keeping the trailing lower end off the floor

good luck and keep us posted. :wink:
Your spot on Ady, have to pull the whole front apart and off to get them out clean, its a mare!

Julian
hammy67
Bongonaut

Post by hammy67 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:17 pm

many thanks i will let you know how i get on
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:12 pm

Hi
Too much of a hassle, I would say...What about having odd "T" junctions made up, with a suitable lip swaged in where the pipe fits, and running the rest in High-pressure water hose. ?. I get coolant hose at the local tractor shop...rated 30 Bar...that's right 30!!!!!...and with good Mazda-style constant pressure clips, it's far less problem than pipe-puggling, and it's easy to clip to the chassis!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:53 pm

If your any good at old school (not push-fit) plumbing its not a big job to chop out the corroded section and make up a replacement or as helen says just use rubber hose.

Julian
dreamwarrioruk
Supreme Being

Post by dreamwarrioruk » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:12 pm

changed mine last year, its not too bad to do, just a few scraped knuckles and a severe tourets attack.
mike, jo and emma
hammy67
Bongonaut

Post by hammy67 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:10 pm

did think about replacing it in copper but with a aluminium head i think that would be a bit no no
i really wanted just to pull them out so can give a proper flush through , inspection and clean up as i am doing all the cooling system
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:15 pm

Hi
Julian...
What I was getting at was I wonder if someone...maybe a small jobbing firm, could knock up a set of "T's" for sale...after all, I've just bought an all-metal rear heater matrix , and I reckon they might be persuaded to come up with the goods for a price?
Bongo side pipes are a bit scary to replace, fiddling about taking everything to bits to simply replace a metal pipe, and I would reckon it'd save a future pipe failure looking at the long term? Connect the "T's" with rubber!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:11 pm

salexander
Bongonaut

Post by salexander » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:32 pm

Such things are commonly used by the kitcar and racing fraternity. Alloy T-pieces are available in various sizes from several kitcar suppliers, try Car builder solutions or Merlin motorsport, or of course eBay.
hammy67
Bongonaut

Post by hammy67 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:51 pm

many thanks will look into that might first pull the rad out at the weekend as it is all disconnected anyway and see if the pipes come out easy that way

Return to “Techie Stuff”