Slight coolant leak?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Toby&Jules
Bongonaut

Slight coolant leak?

Post by Toby&Jules » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:11 pm

Hi folks. Not long to go til our Bongo is on the road, and was going to start it today but discovered the coolant level in the header tank was just below the minimum. Obviously there must be a small leak somewhere, so I'm planning to rig up a pressure testing kit like the one I've read about on here, and fit an LCA, but can I just top up the header tank in the meantime? I haven't run her up for a few weeks, and it really needs doing

Thanks

Toby
Titan1995
Tribal Elder

Re: Slight coolant leak?

Post by Titan1995 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:37 pm

I am paranoid about coolant issues since replace cylinder head etc.

Personally, I think I would bleed the system to be on the safe side.

Obviously, you need to ascertain where if anywhere you have a leak.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:22 am

if its just been bled up again, usually when warm, the fixed amount of coolant in the system could have cooled and shrunk.
when i hot bleed them i leave the level 10mm-20mm high so that when the coolant cools it falls to the full mark.

pressure monitoring is the way forward---------------i dont care about temps any more, although i do have 3 systems in place to measure it, the main thing i go off now is a constant coolant pressure monitoring gauge.

or you could have a leak.
replace your exp tank cap regularly or test it,
i made a pressure cap tester as some of the caps fail to hold the ness 1.1 bar. if your low on pressure in the system you lower the boiling point of the coolant,and maybe loose coolant out through the cap. for this reason i use red coolant in the system as it has a higher boiling point than blue in general.

hard to find/diagnose coolant leaks are sometimes at the water pump, there are 2 holes it can leak from 1 at the passy side that is visible, the other is at the 6 oclock position and is real hard to see because of the crank pulley and belts. do a search for water pump on here some good pics will pop up.
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:34 pm

pesure testing does work!..nb will remeber my experience..ok the outcome was not good but he is right,it would seem that presure=probs found slightly quicker than just on temps.

by the way thanks again nb

Return to “Techie Stuff”