Transmision (TAT) Diagnositc code 38

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

phedders
Bongolier

Transmision (TAT) Diagnositc code 38

Post by phedders » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:38 pm

My Bongo (2.5TD auto 96ish) was sat up for 10 days over Christmas. When I went to use it this week I found the leisure battery completely flat, the main battery low and the Glow light flashing when driving it.

It drove fine however.

So I've looked at the diag connector and there are no engine ECU pins - I think they were not available on early autos.

I've got a code out of the TAT/FAT pins of "38" ie three long blinks and 8 shorties. But I cannot find any doc that lists that code - any ideas anyone?

I've tried a reset (disconnect battery and pump footbrake - thats right isnt it?) but that changes nothing.

To add insult to injury I ran it up again a minute ago and the HOLD light is now flashing.
Location says where I am... I'd rather be justabout anywhere else! Suggestions or job offers of/in other parts of the UK gladly received...
alan
Supreme Being

Re: Transmision (TAT) Diagnositc code 38

Post by alan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:00 pm

http://www.philmcfadden.co.uk/MazdaDiagnosticBox.htm
have you found the fact sheet in mebers area hope this hleps
take it easy drive a bongo
phedders
Bongolier

Post by phedders » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:26 pm

alan wrote:http://www.philmcfadden.co.uk/MazdaDiagnosticBox.htm
have you found the fact sheet in mebers area hope this hleps
Thanks Alan - I've scoured both - but cant find what code 38 is :?:
Location says where I am... I'd rather be justabout anywhere else! Suggestions or job offers of/in other parts of the UK gladly received...
phedders
Bongolier

Post by phedders » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:15 pm

I forgot to add - Central locking now only works on the Drivers door - not any of the others. I do not know if that is linked - but the timing is suspicious.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:17 pm

Check these two fuses;
ImageImage
They control the switching and power too the other door locks. Might also be the mechanical link to the switch itself of course within the drivers door.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:23 am

if you have your internal fuse box connected to your leisure battery then the central locking maybe connected to it and if the leisure battery is flat may explain it doesnt work and again a flat/disconnected leisure battery can cause the glow plug light to flash until its charged

Julian
phedders
Bongolier

Post by phedders » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:58 pm

You two were right on the money. Got the LB charged overnight - connected everything backup this morning and its fine. No flashing coil, no flash hold.

Still puzzled about four things:
- the code 38 - what is it?
- why I forgot that I'd rewired the lights to the LB circuit...
- and why three doors are on that circuit - but not the drivers door
- and why that caused "issues" for the transmission (flashing hold)

So why did it go _sooo_ flat (practially zero volts - nice Banner energy bull sigh!) ? Kids or other driver (not named...) left one of the courtesy lights on while we were away. DOH!

I've got a Kemo M148A Battery Guard sitting here that would have saved this hastle - but it switches the negative not the positive - so it's no use wiring in general car circuits because of shared earths. Grrrr.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:05 pm

phedders wrote:- the code 38 - what is it?
- why I forgot that I'd rewired the lights to the LB circuit...
- and why three doors are on that circuit - but not the drivers door
- and why that caused "issues" for the transmission (flashing hold)
38 - no idea its not listed!
Matter over Mind
The drivers door is mechanical only, or has an added motor wired to a fob receiver wired separately from the rest of the doors!
The ECU standby power (Ignition off) is on that fuse, so when it blows it records it as a fault.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
phedders
Bongolier

Post by phedders » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:28 pm

g8dhe wrote: 38 - no idea its not listed!
Matter over Mind
The drivers door is mechanical only, or has an added motor wired to a fob receiver wired separately from the rest of the doors!
Ok... I fitted the alarm so and the drivers door motor - should have been more aware of that, but it was five years ago :) I even looked at the fuse box and thought "I wonder why there isnt a fuse in slot 1" - took a while to recall my hacking.
g8dhe wrote: The ECU standby power (Ignition off) is on that fuse, so when it blows it records it as a fault.
Ahhh - Of that I was not aware! Seems a bit odd, but very good to know.

Thanks again all!

Return to “Techie Stuff”