Engine oil leak, Drivers side

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

peterrc
Bongolier

Post by peterrc » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:38 pm

While checking the transmission fluid and power steering level I noticed that there is oil leaking down the lower half of the engine. Is it definitely a cylinder head gasket or could it be something else (I live in hope). It is oil and not diesel fuel and the engine oil level has gone down. Cannot get a closer look until the weather improves.
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Re: Engine oil leak, Drivers side

Post by Driver+Passengers » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:54 pm

Rocker cover gasket can leak down. I believe front camshaft oil seal can leak at the front and run down and backwards to dirty the block. EGR 'gunk' can leak from around the joint to the intake manifold elbow piece at the front. It's been said that there are more Bongos with oily driver's sides than without, and that it keeps rust down anyway, but if you're noticeably losing oil level then perhaps best continue to fix.

A spray of degreaser and a quick wipe down should show the source after the next drive.

If it's the rocker cover gasket, nip the bolts up (about 10Nm, which is "nothing") and you might sort it.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:58 pm

you may find its the camshaft oil seal. its hard to see but it leaks down the front of the engine then comes round the drivers side, most do it,and most dont fix it. :wink: .
you may wish to try some seal expander or similar in the oil see if that helps.
peterrc
Bongolier

Post by peterrc » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:35 pm

Thanks, that gives me some pointers. There is some oil on the rocker cover so hopefully it will be the camshaft oil seal spraying oil around. Now all I have to do is extend the garage door so that I can get bongo into the warm.
Peter
lancyman
Bongolier

Post by lancyman » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:46 pm

my 2.5 rd has had a similar thing forever. I have the classic
oil stained driveway. to be honest I had the gasket seal replaced, and the
egr blanked. made no difference. either way the van runs perfectly well,
so unless it's excessive don't panic.
al & chris
Tribal Elder

Post by al & chris » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:26 pm

Ours also has the same, does not drip oil but has been like it since we got it. Not got any worse and don't have to top up much between oil changes so not worried about it.
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:32 am

Inlet manifolds are quite often the culprits

Julian
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:22 pm

Driver+Passengers wrote:Rocker cover gasket can leak down. I believe front camshaft oil seal can leak at the front and run down and backwards to dirty the block. EGR 'gunk' can leak from around the joint to the intake manifold elbow piece at the front. It's been said that there are more Bongos with oily driver's sides than without, and that it keeps rust down anyway, but if you're noticeably losing oil level then perhaps best continue to fix.

A spray of degreaser and a quick wipe down should show the source after the next drive.

If it's the rocker cover gasket, nip the bolts up (about 10Nm, which is "nothing") and you might sort it.
2nd what he says. I cleaned mine with gunk in a paraffin gun. Worked a treat but the cab smelt a bit gunky for a few days. :lol: :lol: :lol: shoulda used plastic sheet as a spray screen :-k

Return to “Techie Stuff”