Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

bennett
Junior Bongonaut

VAN WONT START - HELP

Post by bennett » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:54 pm

STUCK IN DRIVEWAY - SCAFFOLDING NEEDS TO COME DOWN

2001 2.5 TURBO DIESEL
FROSTY MORNING VAN STARTED TO THAW OUT CAME BACK 3-4 MINS LATER VAN STOPPED AND WOULD NOT START.

FUEL & FILTER OK

GLOW PLUGS WORKING OK

LIGHTS ON DASH WORKING, ENGINE TURNS OVER, DOESN'T SEEM TO FIRE,GLOW PLUG RELAY FLASHES CONSTANTLY.

TRIED FUEL STRAIGHT TO INJECTOR, PULLS THROUGH WHEN IGNITION TURNS, RETURNS, LOOSENED PIPE TO INJECTORS
NO DIESEL COMING THROUGH.

SEEMS TO BE NO POWER TO STOP SOLONIDE/INJECTOR PUMP. NOTICED TONIGHT BATTERY FLAT, MONDAY WAS OK.

THANK YOU NEIL
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Re: VAN WONT START - HELP

Post by New Forest Terrier » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:11 pm

Batteries can fail very suddenly in freezing weather. Mine went two weeks ago with no warning at all. Perfect first time starting, then leave it for two days in cold weather and on a freezing morning, nothing. Just a faint immobiliser light and a feeble whir.

The battery was nearly five years old and an obscure make fitted by the importer. In addition it was undersized for the Bongo by 25A, according to my local battery place. As mine is a V6, I cannot help further on diesel intricacies.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
bennett
Junior Bongonaut

Post by bennett » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:22 pm

I'M PRETTY SURE NOT BATTERY BECAUSE I PUT A TESTER & JUMP START AND ENGINE TURNS OVER NO SIGN OF WHITE SMOKE OR DIESEL GETTING TO INJECTORS.
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:54 pm

Have you recently changed the fuel filter? It can sometimes take a good minute or two of cranking to start after a change. Don't no anything about the stop solenoid, I'm afraid.

Also glowplug light should come on with the key, go out after 5 or so seconds but you should hear the relay clicking off after 15. You said it's constantly flashing??

Matt.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:45 pm

this is the later fuel pump model.it has a bad habit of putting on the flashing glow plug light, which is indicating a fault somewhere. the usual suspect is the throttle position sensor,.

this could all be related to battery supply/voltage etc. the fuel shut off needs a supply voltage also, to open it.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:20 pm

Scafolders are big, though, lads.

Ask them if they'd mind pushing Bongy off the drive to get their gear, and then push it back of course.

Schhh :wink:
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:18 pm

check interior fuse box, middle row far left (15A) that would produce the results your having

Julian
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:11 pm

Good luck and hope you get that stuck caps lock key sorted too :wink: :)
bennett
Junior Bongonaut

Post by bennett » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:48 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:this is the later fuel pump model.it has a bad habit of putting on the flashing glow plug light, which is indicating a fault somewhere. the usual suspect is the throttle position sensor,.

this could all be related to battery supply/voltage etc. the fuel shut off needs a supply voltage also, to open it.
The battery is healthy - fuse ok - seems to be no faultage to injector pump/stop solonid - glow plug relay working - light goes out and solonid click - voltage getting through checked volt meter seems to be no voltage to stop solonid/injector pump.
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:20 pm

later fuel pump? which year, as post 99 pump doesnt have a tps!

Try applying power directly to the fuel cut off, if not theres a break in the system somewhere as its powered by the 15A fuse i mentioned earlier, take a look at the fuel pump connector plug? but the flashing glow plug light makes me suspect its further back than that? is there a voltage going throught the fuse i mentioned?

Julian
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:56 pm

cheers julian. :oops: .
i thought it was well known to cause the flashing glow plug light on the later pump, sorry to mislead.
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:51 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:cheers julian. :oops: .
i thought it was well known to cause the flashing glow plug light on the later pump, sorry to mislead.
That's the microswitch on the accelerator pedal Ady that i was on about a while ago. If that's out of adjustment it makes the light flash. Didn't stop it starting though, at least it didn't on mine.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:29 pm

Hi,it would probably be worthwhile checking the connectors on the PCM/ECU.
As Julian has said,apply a separate 12 volt source to the stop solenoid(remove and tape the original for safety),it will not start if the solenoid does not open.

Cheers
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:50 pm

briwy wrote:
That's the microswitch on the accelerator pedal Ady that i was on about a while ago. If that's out of adjustment it makes the light flash. Didn't stop it starting though, at least it didn't on mine.[/quote]

cheers brian, i knew id seen something on here :) .

Return to “Techie Stuff”