Leak from Oil Cooler Feed (V6) - I'm guessing....

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

hooch
Bongonaut

Leak from Oil Cooler Feed (V6) - I'm guessing....

Post by hooch » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:53 am

Short tale of woe... :-({|=

Went to de-ice the van this morning, there was a fair build up on the inside of the screen so I started the van and left it to idle with the screen blower on.

When I returned to the van there was a small pool of warm engine oil at the rear of the engine.

On inspection there are 2 holes coming out of the off side rear of the engine, the lower pipe seems to be leaking where it connects into the metal feed pipe.

Can I just check that this is infact a feed to an oil cooler...

Also any suggestions on the best place to buy a replacement?
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Leak from Oil Cooler Feed (V6) - I'm guessing....

Post by g8dhe » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:13 pm

Here is the diagram of the oil cooler pipes on the V6 http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... mgno=.html
the oil cooler is a tube at the bottom of the radiator here http://lushprojects.com/bongopartsmk2/c ... 2of02.html
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:34 pm

sounds like feed or return to the oil temp exchanger, not uncommon, usually a simple fix.

Julian
hooch
Bongonaut

Post by hooch » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:23 pm

When you say simple fix - Is it just reseat the pipe or is it a replace the pipe job?

I don't think that the pipe has a split but I'm slightly concerned that the pipe might just have lost some flex...
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:53 pm

My Bongo is a similar mid engined layout as my Toyota Estima, and use two similar long steel gear box fluid cooler pipes from the auto box to the bottom of the radiator ..

I replaced my Toyota with two new complete pipes .. although do able .. I found them a bit of a bugga in threading the two five long pipes through from the rad to the box ..

To be honest .. if I was faced with the same job today I reckon I would cut the corroded bit out of the steel pipe, then secularly jubilee clip some ..oil proof .. 'rubber' pipe in ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:51 pm

What colour is the oil? If its red & from the rear of the engine then its ATF from the gearbox rather than engine oil. If you can identify the part numbers from the lushprojects diagram, then any Mazda dealer should be able to order one for you. Can you add a photo of the pipe so we can check?
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:22 pm

hooch wrote:When you say simple fix - Is it just reseat the pipe or is it a replace the pipe job?

I don't think that the pipe has a split but I'm slightly concerned that the pipe might just have lost some flex...
its usually just reseating the pipe and maybe putting a jubilee clip on it, sometimes the pipes become 'porous' and allow the oil to seep through them, worst cast is replace the pipe.

Julian

Return to “Techie Stuff”