How to replace original steering wheel with a wooden one

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

loneranger
Bongolier

How to replace original steering wheel with a wooden one

Post by loneranger » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:46 am

Hello, having just purchased a momo wooden steering wheel with the boss can any tell me how and what is the best way to remove the original steering wheel.Cheers Michael
Red & Blue Advanced Driver "Bongoin in the Peak" or "Aye Up My Duck" Land
321Away
Tribal Elder

Re: How to replace original steering wheel with a wooden one

Post by 321Away » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:40 pm

which year and do you have drivers airbag? steering wheel face is usually held on with 10mm bolts, found on the back of the wheel, sometinmes under a plastic grommet, pop it/them off and you'll see the bolts, undo that the front of the wheel/airbag will pull off, disconnect wiring. The actual wheel is held in by a 21mm nylock nut, undo that and i find hitting the whell at the 12 and the 6 o'clock postions a few times breaks the taper lock and frees it off. Fitting your new boss is anothe matter without knowing exaclty which type you have

Julian
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:48 pm

loneranger wrote:Hello, having just purchased a momo wooden steering wheel with the boss can any tell me how and what is the best way to remove the original steering wheel.Cheers Michael
Michael, are you attempting to turn your Bongo in to a Morris Traveller? :lol:
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
loneranger
Bongolier

Post by loneranger » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:26 pm

How did you guess Ian,just some more Bling and it is something I have been after for sometime.When you get over seventy one you think "I have always wanted this,so I will go for it".This is all the more true when you go to the doctors with a severe chest infection and you ask for Amoxicillin and he says "If you were younger the answer would be no,but as you are over seventy it does not matter as you are kicking downhill". cheers mICHAEL
the laird
Supreme Being

Post by the laird » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:11 pm

michael take horn push out wheel centre,slacken wheel nut off a couple of turns but not fullyy andpull towards you and give it a rock motion and it should detatch from the splines.make sure you align ind cancell on refity
regards gordon
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:09 am

just something else to think about michael, look at the diam of the wheel as they can mask the instruments, and look how it sits on the boss.splines, some of the wheels are too flat, so every time you turn the wheel your knuckles catch the wipers or indicators #-o
loneranger
Bongolier

Post by loneranger » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:29 am

Thanks,Gordon for the info will let you know when it arrives and how I got on,also that other problem is now sorted. Also thanks to Ady for your advice,I will see what happens when I try to fit it.I always appreciate every bit of advice I get when it is a job I have not done before. Cheers Michael
loneranger
Bongolier

Post by loneranger » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:08 am

Hello, the new wooden steering is now fitted,it took less than an hour allowing for trial and error getting it lined up on the splines in the dead centre when travelling. It is fantastic the best MoMo wooden steerig wheel that I have ever seen,I have never seen one with polished wood in the centre before.Many thanks to Gordon (The Laird) for doing me a good deal,he said it was fantastic and it is,not a single mark on it I will try and put a photo of it on the forum,when I can find my Camera.Cheers Michael
Dabs
Supreme Being

Post by Dabs » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:45 am

Hey Michael
You cant go changing your forum name to "Woodenwheel" now....... its already taken!! :lol: :lol:
Its Oh so quiet!!..Ex Terra Lucem!!..A Leopard can't change his spots!
the laird
Supreme Being

Post by the laird » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:45 am

Just would like to thank Michael for the phone call it's a pleasure to pass the wheel on to such a nice guy.it was toe utters wheel at first but could not fit mine due to the air bag.i would like to say also it's the best mono wheel I have ever clapped eyes on,,stunning and superb,at your age Michael its nice to hear excitement in such an experianced chap . Good luck mate
A up duck!,,,,,
loneranger
Bongolier

Post by loneranger » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:08 am

,Image steering wheel now fitted it looks fantastic.the photo's even got my legs in. Cheers Michael
loneranger
Bongolier

Post by loneranger » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:13 am

Image The back is just as good as the front Cheers Michael
loneranger
Bongolier

Post by loneranger » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:26 am

Image Hello this is the Creme De La Creme (the best bit).No they are not marks on it,that s the light,there is not a single mark or scratch on this wheel.Sorry for putting three posts but this is the first time I have put any photo's on the forum and it did not like me trying to put them all on one post.Is usual or it just my old age.Cheers Michael
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:11 pm

Hi
Michael.....I'm astounded!....Bare Legs?????....take care...children might be watching. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It was an easy job to fit , wasn't it....and a "spend" that made you happy!...well done!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
loneranger
Bongolier

Post by loneranger » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:43 pm

hello Helen,just normal for me,I never wear trousers even in the snow., I have good circulation so do not feel the cold.The number of times in winter ladies say to me "your legs must be cold" when I tell them just touch them and see ,they say "my god they are so warm".If Dee is with me she grabs hold of my arm and says "sorry but we have to go".Then she says "I wish you would not do that when I am with you"to which I reply "you have put up with it for twenty seven years,and I can not break a habit of a life time".This is my first winter of not wearing sandals for at seventy one I have felt the cold in my toes this year When I worked in the Ranger Service for twenty five years instead of two pairs of trousers (one winter one summer) I was issued with five pairs of shorts.I have at least fifteen pairs still in the wrappers, so will have to live to one hundred to wear them out Cheers Michael

Return to “Techie Stuff”