Trouble starting on cold mornings

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Richard P

Trouble starting on cold mornings

Post by Richard P » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:15 pm

I'm finding it nearly impossible to start N reg Bongo on cold mornings - any tips?
the laird
Supreme Being

Re: Trouble starting on cold mornings

Post by the laird » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:26 pm

If its a diesel I would be checking the glow plugs im assuming it's turning over fast enough but just won't fire up! If you do replace the glow plugs make sure you fit proper length and don't fit cheap ones as its false economy
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Post by mister munkey » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:54 pm

Try leaving it 5 or ten seconds after the glow plug light goes out before cranking it over. If one or more plugs are weak this will give it a bit more of a boost. If that makes no difference it could be the cold start solenoids.

When it does start up from cold is the tickover initially higher than normal?
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:35 pm

Find out what size of glow plugs are fitted to your Bongo before you buy them, there are two different sizes. With an N reg I would think that you would have the shorter 83mm long plugs of which them NGK plugs are the best around. http://www.mister-solutions.co.uk/produ ... 01j-3232-p

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
Richard P

Post by Richard P » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:47 pm

Many thanks. The "leaving it for longer" thing didn't seem to make any difference. I think it might have been turning over faster than normal, but I wouldn't bank on it. I need to leave for work at 5.45 tomorrow, so I'm mildly panic stricken. Assuming there isn't anything I can do between now and then, I guess the only thing I can do is to keep trying and hope that it warms up enough before the battery gives out?
philpdr
Tribal Elder

Post by philpdr » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:25 pm

Used to have the same problem then read on the forum that after the glowplug light goes off wait till you hear a click then turn it over.Mine starts fine using this method
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:59 pm

If you do replace the glow plugs make sure you fit proper length and don't fit cheap ones as its false economy[/quote]

I'll vouch for that. I won't buy cheap plugs again after my latest saga. Oh won't need any as I am swapping to a petrol. :D
Do what you like.Like what you do.
Richard P

Post by Richard P » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:09 am

Thanks for the tip re the click - worked this morning! Wasn't that cold, so jury still out. I guess I still need to look at the glow plug issue, so thanks for all the advice.
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:36 am

if it was just giving a click before

its

1 a weak battery

2 worn contacts on starter motor....12 quid on ebay inc spring and plunger

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAZDA-BONGO-2 ... 43b6041865
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:54 am

philpdr wrote:Used to have the same problem then read on the forum that after the glowplug light goes off wait till you hear a click then turn it over.Mine starts fine using this method
Ditto with my N reg..turn off heater fans, radio etc and listen carefully. Mine takes up to 30 secs (depending on temp) after turning ignition on before I hear that little 'click' from the solenoid (?). No need to press throttle, one turn of the key and we're off.

Good luck

Derek
Mctavish
Bongonaut

Post by Mctavish » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:07 pm

My diesel N Reg was being problematic starting too - the problem after investigating glow plug resistance levels (they were fine) was the glow plug relay (under bonnet drivers side) - it had corroded contacts, preventing current reaching the plugs. I opened it up and filed the contacts with a nail file until they were shiny again, refitted and she now starts almost immediately after the light goes out on key turn. No point waiting for a 'click' if the 'click' doesn't complete a circuit to the plugs...

Ben
If it ain't broke don't fix it - Amen.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:39 pm

wonkanoby wrote:if it was just giving a click before

its

1 a weak battery

2 worn contacts on starter motor....12 quid on ebay inc spring and plunger

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAZDA-BONGO-2 ... 43b6041865
I often wonder if a tired starter battery gets overlooked in trying to diagnose causes - must lead to inferior glow at the plugs esp. once starter motor engaged and draining power?
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Post by mister munkey » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:50 pm

Valid point Mike. Mine didn't exactly get better but stopped being quite so bad when I put a big new Bosch under the bonnet.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey

Return to “Techie Stuff”