Stalling Engine.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

chris30taylor
Junior Bongonaut

Stalling Engine.

Post by chris30taylor » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:31 am

Hi all.

My bongo has stalled on several occasions when slowing to a standstill. It first started about 9mnths ago on a long run. Usually I do short distances around my home in Penzance and have not had the problem at home before, but today after a short 8 mile journey it stalled again.

At the moment I do tend to just keep putting £25 of fuel and doing 160km before refueling as I have yet to do the trick with the 'earthing' of the fuel tank, it currently does not work. In july I changed the fuel, air and oil filters. It is a 2.5td with 120,000km on the clock. A 1995 model. When I am idling the engine purrs with only a very occasional dip in revs from the 750 tickover.

Is this a common problem and what can I do to rectify it?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Chris. =D>
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Stalling Engine.

Post by g8dhe » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:38 am

Several possible causes but one simple one to check is that you maybe getting a vacuum in the fuel tank from a blocked breather hole in the fuel cap, try releasing the cap and drive without it sealed up, if that cures it then take the cap indoors and soak it in warm soapy water and clear the breathe hole/valve out.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Post by mister munkey » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:58 am

Another tip:

Mine had similar symptoms & was a bugger to resolve but ended up being a collapsed vacum pipe that feeds into the cold start solenoids on top of the engine just behind the gearshift. It had literally sucked itself flat. Have a quick look - It could be a 50p fix. :-)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
chris30taylor
Junior Bongonaut

Post by chris30taylor » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:36 am

Many thanks.

I will try both soonest and let you know the result. :D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:47 am

mister munkey wrote:Another tip:

Mine had similar symptoms & was a bugger to resolve but ended up being a collapsed vacum pipe that feeds into the cold start solenoids on top of the engine just behind the gearshift. It had literally sucked itself flat. Have a quick look - It could be a 50p fix. :-)
Where have you been these last 50 years. The Tribe have been worried sick about you. Well ok that might be overstating it a lot ha ha but.....great to see you on here and hope all is well.
Nevets
Bongolier

Post by Nevets » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:29 am

mister munkey wrote:Another tip:

Yep this is a common fault also check for where the pipe fits into the valve as these break easy causing stalling
I am the only bongo in the village.......(not anymore there's two of us now "Damn it)
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:21 pm

also check the gearbox oil level, and condition. has the gearbox filter been cleaned.
chris30taylor
Junior Bongonaut

Post by chris30taylor » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:37 am

Not checked the gearbox oil filter, is it easy to get to?
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:57 am

not really but not hard

its inside its sump

but well worth doing as you will get to clean a load of grunge out

pela pump helps

as oil is above level of sump gasket
chris30taylor
Junior Bongonaut

Post by chris30taylor » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:41 pm

Many thanks for your help, sorry for taking so long to post a reply. I appear to have sorted the problem. When I looked at the solenoids the pipe had actually come off the small tube that exudes from the device. I replaced it and it seems to be ok. Time will tell. I also soaked the fuel cap for good measure. =D>

Out of interest, what are the mechanics behind the solenoid and why it was causing the stalling?

Cheers

Chris.
chris30taylor
Junior Bongonaut

Post by chris30taylor » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:34 pm

Typical. I thought that had cracked it but I think it may be more complicated. Today it started again but when I looked the pipe had come off again and I thought, cool, and fixed it again. However, later this eve it stalled when coming to a stop on my driveway and the pipe was still attached. :(
I have read through the links posted on here and was wondering whether i needed to buy a new solenoid?? When I am idle on my driveway the engine purrs at just below 750 and when I stay stationary and put it in gear the revs drop to approx 700, maybe 680. There is no swaying of the revs, they stay constant which makes the problem even more strange.

Due to not feeling confident when approaching roundabouts etc I have started putting it into S and even L as this increases the revs and stops it stalling. Should I just adjust the idle speed? If anyone has a link to the instructions for this I would be grateful. :?:

I know it may not appear so but I do have a fairly mechanical mind and learn quickly and would like to solve the problem myself.

your expertise would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Chris. ](*,)
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:31 pm

at the end of the throttle cable, when fully warmed up the cable end should push in a little plunger. make sure it does, if it doesnt the cable needs adjusting.
chris30taylor
Junior Bongonaut

Post by chris30taylor » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:58 am

I've noticed this plunger but was not sure what it did, electrical I assume? The cable does press the plunger but I have not checked when fully warmed. Will do. Been reading around the subject, could it be the fuel tank filter given the length of time the problem has occurred over? It does seem to be happening more often.
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:39 pm

no its worked by a vacumn

best im aware with a diesel there is no tank filter

Return to “Techie Stuff”