Maybe a Problem?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

stuc
Supreme Being

Maybe a Problem?

Post by stuc » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi checked coolant level yesterday and it was empty, It has been a couple of month since I checked it last :shock: :shock: I can hear the gasps from here, but topped it up and been out for a little run today. It wasn't oveheating but I thought it was staeming up very easily, so I checked under the bonnet when I got back.
Signs of coolant leakage on osf of radiator but hoses looked ok.
Couldn't check coolant level as it was hot.
Revved it up for a couple of minutes and had another look, and it looks like it was comming from the little overflow near the rad cap( I know it shouldnt have one but i does).
Left it to cool and checked coolant level and it was as it should be.
If I over filled it yesterday would it chuck the excess out.
I think it may be rad cap but what do the coolant gurus think?
Do what you like.Like what you do.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Maybe a Problem?

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:49 pm

I think I would top up with water, bleed it properly and then run it to see where the leak is coming from when the system is up to temperature and pressure. Then get yourself a low coolant alarm, or at least check it more than bi-monthly :wink:
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:04 pm

Why would it need bleeding after having nothing changed to allow air into the system?
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:21 pm

stuc wrote:Why would it need bleeding after having nothing changed to allow air into the system?
Depends how much coolant you had to put in, if the coolant loss had gone below the the low level marker it might have sucked air into the system, its best to be on the safe side and it might need bleeding.
Lost without my Bongo.
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:36 pm

That makes sense Dave, I did have to put quite a bit in as it was empty.
Good to hear from you mate. :)
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:36 pm

What Dave says. Empty header tank = air in system = likely airlock = potential overheat, or at least poor cooling performance due to lack of coolant circulating.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:28 am

Can't believe the great Stuc hasn't got an LCA fitted. Get it done ASAP laddie :-)
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:04 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:Can't believe the great Stuc hasn't got an LCA fitted. Get it done ASAP laddie :-)
I think you are right, I have put off fitting one as I have had no problems but did get a bit of a shock on discovering no coolant in header.
I am a bit tight with the pennies though is there a home brew fix?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:07 pm

stuc wrote:
mikeonb4c wrote:Can't believe the great Stuc hasn't got an LCA fitted. Get it done ASAP laddie :-)
I think you are right, I have put off fitting one as I have had no problems but did get a bit of a shock on discovering no coolant in header.
I am a bit tight with the pennies though is there a home brew fix?
I know what you mean, and I was the same when I got mine, but I have to admit it wasn't long before I had no doubt the peace of mind made it worth every penny. Without it, I would always have worried over when disaster would strike. And Haydn has always been committed IMHO to producing a well engineered and reliable product, and a device like the lca has to be just that, if it is to be worth fitting. And no, i'm not on commission. But after 5+ years my lca has performed without fault. And wouldn't you know it, i've yet to have any major coolant loss, though it does sound once a year or so to tell me i've lost a little coolant. No idea why :-)
pamannec
Bongonaut

Post by pamannec » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:50 pm

fitting my low coolant alarm was the first job I did when I got my Bongo after reading all the threads on here and how happy am I that I did. It gives me peace of mind every time I start the car but best of all it went off after I had been shopping, it was parked in the rain so there is no way I would have realised I had lost all my coolant without the alarm and I would have driven home and probably wrecked the car. There was a split in one of the hoses and it had all poured out!!!!! so thank you Bongo Fury for the advice.

Return to “Techie Stuff”