poorly sick bongo. fuel starvation?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

poorly sick bongo. fuel starvation?

Post by fatcatlawyer » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:05 pm

Bongo has been recovered to local garage who have not been sucessful in sorting the problem.

2.5 diesel 1995 vintage.

Will start but will not rev above 1000. Classic symptoms of fuel starvation, but I have put a straight pipe to the pump with no improvement.

It starts readily enough but simply has no ooomph.

I have checked the solenoids and they are all "clicking". I replaced one hose when I found a hole in the same.

I am now thinking it could be the pump, but before I go down that route anybody got any suggestions?

Ian G
321Away
Tribal Elder

Re: poorly sick bongo. fuel starvation?

Post by 321Away » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:19 pm

snapped camshaft displays similar effects? direct feed rules out blocked filter

Julian
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Post by fatcatlawyer » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:35 pm

Thank you for that suggestion, but wouldnot a snapped camshaft mean it would smoke or send unburnt fiel out of the exhaust? Exhaust seems as normal,
Ian G
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:51 pm

Hi,have they checked the Fuel Cut off Solenoid rubber valve and the pump filter.
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Post by fatcatlawyer » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:16 pm

I checked the banjo filter. The Fuel cust off valve I dont know, but the engine runs (albeit lumpily) for 5 minuits and starts within 2 seconds of turning the key after it stops.

Ian G
Titan1995
Tribal Elder

Post by Titan1995 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:09 pm

Remove the "Interior Saddle" covering and then the cam cover.....then you can confirm no camshaft damage.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:53 pm

Turbo problem maybe? Is camshaft quick to diagnose by removing rocker cover Julian?
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:22 pm

am i right in saying you run alternative fuels ??.
i recently bought a pump from a bongo that did the same thing when fitted, it turned out the banjo filter was blocked but looking in the top it looked ok, it was only when the filter was removed from the pump with a cotton bud that the reason was obvious, the fats that had cooked in the alternative fuel were hanging like a hairball in a hairdressers U bend, the stringy fats were nearly 1 inch long into the pump, removed carefully then it was fine.
fatcatlawyer
Tribal Elder

Post by fatcatlawyer » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:44 pm

To enlighten any who suffer similar grief.

Problem was six fold.(most if not all of my making)

I had changed the fuel filter housing some time ago. Apparently the last time I changed the filters the top of one of them had become detached from the filter and the replacement jobby had been unable to "seat itself"- thereby letting air into the system from the main tank so as to stop the oil from that tank being sucked to the pump.. The diesel secondary tank had a blockage so as to stop a speedy flow of that fuel. Strange that blockage - perhaps an enemy had added something to that tank.

And thirdly there was a partial blockage in the pump itself. Before going down the route of taking the pump off I bought some injector cleaner and put that neat into a pipe connected to the pump itself. Thanks Northern Bongolow for the suggestion that there could be a partial blockage within the pump itself.

It took about a minute and I noticed a change in the tickover. - suddenly all nice and smooth. free -er reving as well.

Fouthly and fifthly 2 of the vacume hoses had small holes in them. Replaced the hoses but in so doing broke the plastic nozzel conector. To repair that I used a bit from an old telescopic radio aerial glued in situe- worked a treat.

I also had to replace the fuse as some how the garage had caused the fuse to the hlow plugs to fail.

Bongo much happer now and clearly better.

It was just a question of going through each element and checking it out.

I am both physically and mentally knackered now. Just ready ro go and James Bond kill some baddies.
Ian G.

Return to “Techie Stuff”