Battery Charging / Leisure Battery ?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Chris-W
Bongolier

Battery Charging / Leisure Battery ?

Post by Chris-W » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:53 pm

Apart from the main battery, I've got a battery tray and terminals for a second battery, on the right hand side.

Any particular reason this battery would be missing? Is it useful? The earth seems to have a full size cable, yet the positive side seems pretty wimpy, like a handful of small cables.
321Away
Tribal Elder

Re: Battery Charging / Leisure Battery ?

Post by 321Away » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:01 pm

some cars had twin battery setup for colder parts of Japan, usually the tray and earth cable are retained and a leisure battery fitted with some form of new cabling and split charging system. does everything work in the vehicle?

Julian
Last edited by 321Away on Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris-W
Bongolier

Post by Chris-W » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:03 pm

How can I tell if it's a split charging system ?
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:06 pm

do you have access to a multimeter for measuring voltage? if so check what is at ther terminal with the engine off and see if it goes up to approx 13v with the engine running. Does the car have a conversion or kitchen at all
Chris-W
Bongolier

Post by Chris-W » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:09 pm

321Away wrote:do you have access to a multimeter for measuring voltage? if so check what is at ther terminal with the engine off and see if it goes up to approx 13v with the engine running. Does the car have a conversion or kitchen at all
It's got a small kitchen unit in the back, brand new, but it doesn't work - I haven't had time to check whether it's even wired in yet. I'll do it now.
Chris-W
Bongolier

Post by Chris-W » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:23 pm

Also, can I just use the battery from my Impreza in there?, it's just sat there doing nothing at the moment - the best price locally for a 'leisure battery' is halfords at £80 - seems a bit steep.
Chris-W
Bongolier

Post by Chris-W » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:04 pm

Chris-W wrote:
321Away wrote:do you have access to a multimeter for measuring voltage? if so check what is at ther terminal with the engine off and see if it goes up to approx 13v with the engine running. Does the car have a conversion or kitchen at all
It's got a small kitchen unit in the back, brand new, but it doesn't work - I haven't had time to check whether it's even wired in yet. I'll do it now.
The water pump works, needed ignition turning one click. It's plugged into the auxiliary socket at the back. No spark from cooker though.

Return to “Techie Stuff”