Turbo Timer Question.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

kawasaki kid
Tribal Elder

Turbo Timer Question.

Post by kawasaki kid » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:14 pm

As the thread says - have got a turbo timer - well have had it for the last three years - now I am in a position to fit it as my immobiliser has died and I am having a new one fitted - the way the old one was wired in caused the immobiliser and the turbo timer to conflict with each other - the problem is that I can`t remember which block connectors the turbo timer loom was plugged into ? was it the black ones - there used to be a picture on this site a few years ago showing it but I can`t find it #-o and also the connection on the handbrake - if anyone can help or post some pics it would be great as I really want to have a play with it. The new immobiliser is being fitted by an auto elec and he is going to fit it so the timer can work this time. =D>
If I had all the money I ever spent on my Freda ............ I`d spend it on my Freda.
jaylee
Supreme Being

Re: Turbo Timer Question.

Post by jaylee » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:33 pm

The connection on the handbrake is easy (i think?) it's the only wire going to it....

The conflict with the alarm/immobilizer & the turbo timer may have been because the signal was fed from the ACC & not as it should be from the main ignition...?? I read this a long while back on an American alarm site when i was tempted to fit a turbo timer/remote start with my alarm... I didn't bother in the end, i felt it too much a liability??
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:45 pm

Shame it will be illegal to use :roll:

Quite useful info:

http://www.mdocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13182
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:07 pm

Technically a turbo timer makes your insurance void, the conflict between antimer and an immobiliser is the immobiliser waits typically 45 seconds from the ignition switching off before arming, the timer keeps the ignition on, you can get timers that interface with the handbrake (as most do) and the door switches, so the vehicle will instantly stop if the door is opened or the handbrake relaeased. The only real and safe way to do it is as mentioned to buy an alarm system with integrated timer and immobiliser, even then i'm not sure where insurance would stand as they usually flat out wont accept timers at all as someone could potentially jump in your car, turn the timer up to 10 mins, snap off the steering lock and drive away, probably easier just to kick your head in and take the keys tho lol

Julian
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:56 pm

321Away wrote:Technically a turbo timer makes your insurance void, the conflict between antimer and an immobiliser is the immobiliser waits typically 45 seconds from the ignition switching off before arming, the timer keeps the ignition on, you can get timers that interface with the handbrake (as most do) and the door switches, so the vehicle will instantly stop if the door is opened or the handbrake relaeased. The only real and safe way to do it is as mentioned to buy an alarm system with integrated timer and immobiliser, even then i'm not sure where insurance would stand as they usually flat out wont accept timers at all as someone could potentially jump in your car, turn the timer up to 10 mins, snap off the steering lock and drive away, probably easier just to kick your head in and take the keys tho lol

Julian
Hi Julian, I think most decent timers have an interlock that prevents the unit from changing with the ignition key removed while the engine is running.

Cheers.

Return to “Techie Stuff”