Vibration.

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Titan1995
Tribal Elder

Vibration.

Post by Titan1995 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:33 pm

I have just fitted a refurbished fuel pump to my 2.5WLT auto Bongo "Boris".

I work for a transport company and we have a guy who comes and clean the trucks on a Saturday with a particularly brilliant steam cleaner.

So I though I would leave the under tray off and give it a quick squirt to remove all the residue of my previously leaking fuel pump.

So far so good.

On the way back yesterday I came via the M25 . There is a huge amount of vibration at speed. One wonders if it is something to do with the airflow on the naked engine. Obviously, I will refit the tray and see if there is a difference.

Just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Vibration.

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:43 pm

I've run around for a while without the undertray and not noticed any difference other than the engine sounding a little louder.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:13 pm

could the vibration really be the scavenger fan spinning freely in the new air flow thats now trying to go through it. chopping the air like a helechopter ??. or one of the seat flaps to the engine is now open a tad, and/ or the rubber seal to it is out.
Titan1995
Tribal Elder

Post by Titan1995 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:18 pm

Helechopter indeed....could well be...

Will refit the tray on Wedneday and see what happens.

Also will be fitting some RX-8 wheels that I have just purchased see that makes it any better.
Titan1995
Tribal Elder

Post by Titan1995 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:39 pm

Time for a slap wrist for me.

I had assumed that the vibration on “Boris” was something to with the recent fuel pump change.

I travelled to Portsmouth today to collect a set of RX-8 wheels.

The vibration was at low rev 2000 – 3000 RPM. All was fine at 80MPH.

Due to the amount of time my needy Bongo had taken from me I had spent all my time at the front end of the vehicle as it were.

On the way back at slow speeds the vibration was huge.

Then at around 20MPH on a side road there was a loud clonk and all vibration ceased. Accompanied by something falling to road. I had to travel 400yards to turn around and return to the area.

Sitting in the road was the best part of my rear propshaft. The rearmost universal joint had sheared at the spider.

I inspected the underneath and decided to travel the remainder of my journey in 2WD albeit FWD.

I have sourced a replacement shaft and will refurbish the broken one as a spare.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:10 pm

Crickey - not heard of that failing before. Weren't you going to remove the front diff and driveshafts at some point?
Titan1995
Tribal Elder

Post by Titan1995 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:33 pm

Yes Simon, I was going to remove the front diff.....bloody glad I did not as it happens.

Luckily, such a small rear propshaft. In that it could not dig in the ground and possibly tip the vehicle.

Runs ok on FWD apart from the unbalanced broken stub on the transfer box.

Schoolboy error on my part.......I have just not had time to have a good look at the rear end.

I will take some pics of the broken section.
321Away
Tribal Elder

Post by 321Away » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:38 pm

after reading initial post, was going to mention the rear prop, its not common but i've seen a fair few of them and they do exactly like you said, it starts by being noisy then becomes a vibration, but never driven 1 to destruction lol if you pull the shaft off you can feel a 'notch' in the faulty bearing as it goes past the centre. Remember not to drive the vehicle on FWD for an extended period, iirc Alacrity said you damage 1 of the auto clutches.

Julian
Titan1995
Tribal Elder

Post by Titan1995 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:32 pm

Hi Julian...this was most definitely driven to destruction......in a way quite happy about this as the cheapest thing to fix.

I have an idea that my Bongo "Boris" is possessed by a mischievous little very needy spirit that craves attention. One wonders how anyone who pays a piper to do the work could own such a beast.

Having replaced the cylinder head et all, fuel pump and now a prop shaft.

Waiting in the wings are the leaking PAS rack, leaking front diff output shaft seals and heater motor/ resistor combination.

I would suggest a very very needing Bongo.

Having said that when running "On Song" such a divine vehicle to drive.

So my battle with the Japanese Gremlins goes on. Only a lack of funds will end this saga.
Bogmonster40
Bongolier

Post by Bogmonster40 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:08 pm

80mph !!!!! Mine only dreams of being driven at that speed...... :lol: :lol:
I prefer a more sedate drive i'm afraid, so your more likely to overtake me pointing out 2 local landmarks as you pass !!!
V6 2.5i Tintop Aero Petrol/LPG
Titan1995
Tribal Elder

Post by Titan1995 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:16 pm

The 80MPH was to ascertain when the vibrations stopped "Officer". Normally 65-70MPH......2250 -2500 RPM.
Titan1995
Tribal Elder

Post by Titan1995 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:58 am

I have been running on FWD for four days while I completed my four days block of shift work at Heathrow. Only totally ten miles a day.

I know one should not run in FWD for a long period but needs must on this occasion. I managed to purchase a used rear propshaft from Ebay and will be fitting it today.

I would have preferred to replace the UJ's on the new one and have it balanced but I need to use the vehicle . Hopefully, the old prop can be repaired.

"Propshaft Services" in Feltham are brilliant at this. Especially the balancing.

I am still thinking about a way to split the front prop and use some sort of clutch in a bearing housing with the ability to select either 4x4 or RWD.

Long way off and possibly pie in the sky, the spark is there though.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:09 am

"Well it was like this m'Lud, I had a spot of vibration at 70mph so I accelerated up to 90mph past the school to see if I could drive through it" :lol:

Ours had undriveable vibration up to 40mph or so and a really big clunk going from forward to reverse and back into forward. Recon rear prop and all well.
Titan1995
Tribal Elder

Post by Titan1995 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:20 pm

Replacement prop fitted....all is well. Nice and running smooth without vibration.....all well until the next problem..

Steering rack waiting in the wings. [Leaking fluid]

Return to “Techie Stuff”