Bongo is humiliating us

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Sar N Ade
Bongolier

Bongo is humiliating us

Post by Sar N Ade » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:47 pm

Now that the mornings are cold our Bongo is producing plumes of white smoke. This morning it looked like we had a smoke machine in the back, you could see it all up the street behind us :oops:
We have had the head pressure tested and have been told there is no crack. We have had the smoke checked and it contains nothing untoward.
We are totally untechnical so have asked two garages for advice, hence the information above. The latest check up resulted in being told there was nothing wrong, but this morning was just so embarrassing, we left clouds and clouds behind us.

Any ideas/suggestions appreciated as neither of us want to drive the van until next Spring now...
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo is humiliating us

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:52 pm

Are you sure its smoke rather than steam/condensation? Now the mornings are a bit more damp and chilly, you will 'see' the exhaust more than when it's warm and dry.

Does it run ok or is it lumpy?
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:27 am

Hi
Another possibility...I say POSSIBILITY is the plugs have decided to play up a bit, as they SHOULD keep running until the engine is warm, so it may be advisable to check them....may just be intermittent ?
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:35 am

it could be normal as said above, its just that we all are a little paranoid arnt we.
if its not loosing coolant it should be fine. saying that at this time of year its normal to detect a little drop in the coolant level as the nights are getting cooler 5 to 10mm drop is ok ONCE.
lazyb5
Tribal Elder

Post by lazyb5 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:37 am

If its running rough could be glow plugs need a change and the smoke is unburnt diesel especially if its on cold start
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:20 am

If it takes more than a quick flick of the starter, assuming you waited for the glow plugs to warm up, then it probably is the plugs.

It will just about start with one good one left, but will throw out lots of vapour.

Been there fairly recently, it all kept drifting towards my neighbour's frontage. Luck would have it that I was usually starting up just as they opened the door!

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:35 am

Glowplugs have to be major suspect, especially with it coinciding with Autumn Try not starting it until 30 secs after dashboard glowplug light goes out, and don't touch the throttle pedal, as more fuel only makes it worse. Leave engine to idle for a few mins before moving off.
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:52 pm

mikeonb4c wrote:Glowplugs have to be major suspect, especially with it coinciding with Autumn Try not starting it until 30 secs after dashboard glowplug light goes out, and don't touch the throttle pedal, as more fuel only makes it worse. Leave engine to idle for a few mins before moving off.
Sorry, bit of a derail but if you drove for say five minutes and shut the engine off with the temperature at say 50odd degrees, and then restarted, would that switch the glow plus off? It would just explain something with mine if that were the case. I naievely thought they went off when the dash light did. Doh!
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
Sar N Ade
Bongolier

Post by Sar N Ade » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:52 pm

Thank you for all the advice :)
We don't think the van is especially lumpy, just an old diesel. It may be condensation but there is so much of it, and it hangs about up the street :oops:
We do seem to lose coolant. All the pipes have been changes, and ADS Bongo checked for leaks and couldn't find any. The coolant tank has to be topped up at least once a week.
The head has been checked for cracks recently and there was nothing in there that shouldn't be.

Our next plan is to attack the glow plugs (note to self: DO NOT call them spark plugs when trying to show the mechanic how knowledgeable you are Sarah...)

Thanks for the help :D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:56 pm

Sar N Ade wrote:Thank you for all the advice :)
We don't think the van is especially lumpy, just an old diesel. It may be condensation but there is so much of it, and it hangs about up the street :oops:
We do seem to lose coolant. All the pipes have been changes, and ADS Bongo checked for leaks and couldn't find any. The coolant tank has to be topped up at least once a week.
The head has been checked for cracks recently and there was nothing in there that shouldn't be.

Our next plan is to attack the glow plugs (note to self: DO NOT call them spark plugs when trying to show the mechanic how knowledgeable you are Sarah...)

Thanks for the help :D
Hmmm, maybe not (just) plugs then. You shouldn't be needing to top up coolant every week and need to find out why that is.
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:01 pm

How long on average are your journeys in the van....? Are we talking short trips out to the shops/work/that sort of thing lately??
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi
From what you say, if you have to top up every week, you have a leak...no matter who checks it, it's there...IF all the hoses have been changed, then you may have one of the metal pipes corroded and pin- holed. What clips do you have on the hoses, and are they Mazda opriginal?...One MAJOR source of a hard- to- find leak is the waterpump...I had a leak that produced only a small loss, but it was there...I looked at the waterpump with a high-power torch, an inspection lamp and all sorts...BUT....knowing that the water pump was likely, I got a high-power focused beam on it, and there it was.....first thing in the morning before it had a chance to evaporate......so, the answer is, you have a leak, and persistent checking both hot and cold...engine running, and static....you WILL find it.
Tissue paper or talcum round the hose joints, and searching with a high-intensity focused beam will help. Tracer dye is not a lot of help unless you have a mains UV lamp, and then it REALLY works...If Haydn's firm haven't any, then e-bay sells it
Best of luck!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:58 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
From what you say, if you have to top up every week, you have a leak...no matter who checks it, it's there...IF all the hoses have been changed, then you may have one of the metal pipes corroded and pin- holed. What clips do you have on the hoses, and are they Mazda opriginal?...One MAJOR source of a hard- to- find leak is the waterpump...I had a leak that produced only a small loss, but it was there...I looked at the waterpump with a high-power torch, an inspection lamp and all sorts...BUT....knowing that the water pump was likely, I got a high-power focused beam on it, and there it was.....first thing in the morning before it had a chance to evaporate......so, the answer is, you have a leak, and persistent checking both hot and cold...engine running, and static....you WILL find it.
Tissue paper or talcum round the hose joints, and searching with a high-intensity focused beam will help. Tracer dye is not a lot of help unless you have a mains UV lamp, and then it REALLY works...If Haydn's firm haven't any, then e-bay sells it
Best of luck!
Cheers
Helen
Unless they have a compromised head (gasket) that's allowing coolant into the combustion chamber maybe? Steam in the exhaust would be a symptom if so?
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:01 pm

Velocette wrote:
Sorry, bit of a derail but if you drove for say five minutes and shut the engine off with the temperature at say 50odd degrees, and then restarted, would that switch the glow plus off? It would just explain something with mine if that were the case.
the glow plugs turn off when the revs are above about 950. or the temp is above the cold start solenoid switch off point (approx 50 deg C ). if your fan switch and coolant are good.
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:01 am

Hi Mike
I like to go for the cheapest and easiest first...and a weekly top up sounds more like an external loss, as the Bongo seems to dump water "big time" if the head gasket goes....BUT, I'm unsure how much loss we're talking about?
Cheers
Helen

Return to “Techie Stuff”