exhaust replacement question

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

turbodave
Bongolier

exhaust replacement question

Post by turbodave » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:33 pm

Hi, After an expensive summer of repairs, Billy decided I had not spent enough and the backbox dropped last night due to corrosion between the pipe and the box. I have just bought both back and middle section with a view to doing this job myself and thought I would get the sections off while I wait for parts to arrive.
On inspection of the joint between forward section and middle section however I notice what seems to be a spot weld attaching itself to the bolt and bracket. Am I right?...if so is there a good way to cleanly remove this? Cheers Dave....photo to follow!!
turbodave
Bongolier

Re: exhaust replacement question

Post by turbodave » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:55 pm

Here are the offending bolts! sorry that there is blurring..the "stuff" is to the left of the bolt! Dave
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:00 pm

As long as you can get the nut off, you should be OK. I suspect that somebody has done that so that a spanner is not needed on the bolt head.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
turbodave
Bongolier

Post by turbodave » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:02 pm

Ta, will investigate further!!
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:41 pm

thats standard for some, it just makes it easier to fit the new one if the bolts are held in place.
turbodave
Bongolier

Post by turbodave » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:32 pm

...but a pain in the bum if one of the nuts refuses to move....aaaargh! heat, lubricants, muscle, hammer...anyone in the area got a nut cracker? Dave
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:42 pm

cut the nut off with a special clamp on nut splitting tool, or grinder with a stainless fine cut blade and cut down parallel to the bolt so it cuts off one side of the nut, rotate and repeat if ness.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nut-Splitter- ... 500wt_1156
turbodave
Bongolier

Post by turbodave » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:25 pm

Cheers, they look OK..I will give it one more go tomorrow and then will resort to spending more money on a tool I will use once...and even if I need it again , it will be so long since its last use that it will inhabit the black hole at the end of the road called "Dave's garage".....NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN!! Dave
lazyb5
Tribal Elder

Post by lazyb5 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:39 am

Nice to see your garage is like mine. :shock:
steveyd
Bongolier

Post by steveyd » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:12 am

Hi,

I had a similar problem when replacing my system - all bolts completely seized and I didnt fancy spending hours underneath with a hacksaw on my driveway.

So with a bit of waggling I managed to get the whole system (from cold start vaccum valve backwards) out from the back of the Bongo - however - you will need to take the rear bumper off, the heatshield, spare wheel and jack up the N/S only (to make space between the axle and the body). With a bit of care and not snagging the rear brake lines it all came out and I did it single handedly - you may need a short length of wood/handle etc to lever things over the rear brake pipes. I think I also undid one of the handbrake cable supports. Sounds like a lot but its not as bad as it sounds (you might get away without removing the bumper) - but took me an hour to get that stuff off and I'd rather spend an hour doing that that scraping my knuckles getting filthy and swearing at recalcitrant exhaust bolts. I've also found I have a nasty aversion to Plusgas penetrating fluid so anything that minimises the use of that stuff the better (works a treat though).

If you have an angle grinder then life should be a lot easier.... (guess whats on my Christmas list!).

cheers,

Steve

Return to “Techie Stuff”