How will I know if my overheating is terminal ?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

rhenry
Bongonaut

How will I know if my overheating is terminal ?

Post by rhenry » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:17 pm

Wife just called to say strange loud noise inside cab and steam from engine. Temp gauge shows HIGH ! only been driven locally a few miles per day lately, I did topup the coolant last week as was low. COuld there be an airlock in there ? Worried !!!

Velocette
Supreme Being

Re: How will I know if my overheating is terminal ?

Post by Velocette » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:18 pm

rhenry wrote:Wife just called to say strange loud noise inside cab and steam from engine. Temp gauge shows HIGH ! only been driven locally a few miles per day lately, I did topup the coolant last week as was low. COuld there be an airlock in there ? Worried !!!

It does sound like a Head gasket but you never know. In the mean time. don't drive it and get it checked. The loud noise could have been the pressure cap letting go and vibrating as the coolant sprayed out.

It is possibly an air lock but I have no experience of those. Needing topping up is a warning sign, it shouldn't need topping uo once it has been fully bled and topped up after a good run.

has it been lumpy on start=up?
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
lazyb5
Tribal Elder

Post by lazyb5 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:44 pm

Hope for the best, try a change of thermostat a coolant flush and a proper seesaw bleed. Fingers crossed for you.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:51 pm

Sorry you hear of your troubles. You're the second person to post recently about overheating while being driven by the wife. I think there's a very important lesson in there somewhere.... :wink:
rhenry
Bongonaut

Post by rhenry » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:34 am

Thanks for advice all. It doesn't sound noisy on startup, what else should I look out for? Not very mechanically minded am afraid. :?
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:25 am

send a pm to maxheadroom here on the forum, he lives not a million miles from you and may help.

failing that.
investigate ANY coolant loss asap.
the noises you are hearing could be the pockets of air that build up and then are shifted in lumps round the system. the leak must be found, usually by pressure testing the system and searching for leak.

good luck.
Titan1995
Tribal Elder

Post by Titan1995 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:03 am

Good idea to replace the thermostat with an OEM item anyway as a precaution. Then of course bleed properly.

On a personal note, I find it easier to remove the thermostat housing from the block and then fit the thermostat away from the vehicle. This is a lot less fiddly and you are less likely to cross thread the retaining bolts. The housing to block gasket is readily available from any Ford Dealer . Just get one for a Ford Ranger Diesel .

I am assuming that you have a 2.5 Turbo equipped Bongo and have responded as such.

From my experience with this engine you will be lucky if it does not need further work though.

I have been down the Steel Seal route which worked for a while, then I had to put a cylinder head on. This is also a good time to evaluate the condition of the coolant hoses.

However, mine did boil rather well and had exhaust gases coming through the coolant.

It would appear that the standard temp gauge is less than useless as well. I understand that the gauge can be modified to work more accurately.

I have a digital devices wired directly to the head and thermostat. This device has audible warning at custom set temperatures.

Futhermore a low coolant alarm would appear to be de rigueur with 2.5WLT fitted Bongo's. A very worthwhile investment.
rhenry
Bongonaut

Post by rhenry » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:04 am

I have located a leaking hose under the drivers side door its a rubber hose that connects to a metal pipe and appears to be leaking from there. How will I know if I have done major damage ? is there any visual signs (not noisy on engine) I will send Maxheadroom a mail thanks for that.

cheers
Titan1995
Tribal Elder

Post by Titan1995 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:27 pm

Sounds like you may be lucky.......replace hose bleed correctly and go from there.......
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:12 pm

Fingers crossed [-o< - now get a low coolant alarm fitted 8)
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:44 pm

i wouldnt run it at all while this over the starter motor hose is leaking, when it cools it will suck air in, this air will end up in the head.
Titan1995
Tribal Elder

Post by Titan1995 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:49 pm

low coolant alarm........................get one now
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:52 pm

One listed in Small Ads for £50 which is a bargain:

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 68&t=58044
rhenry
Bongonaut

Post by rhenry » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:14 pm

Thanks everyone for advice it's much appreciated. You think I am ok to drive 2 miles to the garage? Filling the coolant before going. Thanks
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:31 pm

rhenry wrote:Thanks everyone for advice it's much appreciated. You think I am ok to drive 2 miles to the garage? Filling the coolant before going. Thanks
Only if you fully bleed it IMHO. If you have air in the head it could be disastrous.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]

Return to “Techie Stuff”