alternator headacthe

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

alan
Supreme Being

alternator headacthe

Post by alan » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:14 pm

ok here it is my alternator is on it way out so order a new one and it truned up qiuckly so far so good well to day i been trying to fit it #-o #-o
got the old one of :D

1/ i have broken the fitment that hold the top of the alternator think it call the dowl for the top adjust ment screw so any one know where i can get my hands on one [-o< [-o< [-o<

2/ after fitting the new alterator the top lug is to far back leving little to no room to ajust the belts #-o #-o #-o

A/ am i missing some think ie a nother ajustment place
B/wrong alternator sent?????????????
take it easy drive a bongo
jaylee
Supreme Being

Re: alternator headacthe

Post by jaylee » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:20 pm

Do you mean this broke...?

Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
alan
Supreme Being

Post by alan » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:04 pm

jaylee wrote:Do you mean this broke...?

Yes that the bit i over diid it
alan
Supreme Being

Post by alan » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:10 pm

alan wrote:
jaylee wrote:Do you mean this broke...?

Yes that the bit i over diid it
funny that mine boke it the same place :lol:
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:21 pm

So did i... :oops: #-o Story... http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 5&start=15

Common problem... :roll:

I did bodg it with a normal bolt but cant get the right tension on the new belts i was fitting so havent used the van for a while.. Dont wanna chance the belts slipping over the water pump! [-X :wink:

OK, i have tried a couple of the usual suspects near me... No joy.. Ford? Don't bother..

But i have had some really good help from a guy named Joe at the local Mazda dealer... =D> :mrgreen: (When i say local they are in the village the other side of Bath where i grew up.) The guy really had the time to help sort this one out.. After us both pawing over the company's equivalent of the Lush Project Bongo site & making an educated guess... I took a punt on a match from a European model...!

... Unfortunately, its on order from Europe. :lol:

I wont know if i'm right or not till the middle of next week!?? Then i was going to put my findings up (Part numbers.) on the compatible parts if i was right... :wink:
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:26 pm

I may have one of those bolts in my spares box if someone needs it. Will have a look tomorrow and report back.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:06 pm

the nut on these are a weird locking nut, it has teeth facing into the thread of the bolt when its put on. so when its tight then rusted/dirty its bloody tight. #-o .
cut off the remaining un threaded bit, weld a long fully threaded bolt to the shoulder thats left, threaded end to the shoulder not the bolt head end, then cut off the bolt head so you are left with a welded on threaded piece, then use a nylock nut instead of the weird lock nut.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:12 pm

alan wrote:ok here it is my alternator is on it way out so order a new one and it truned up qiuckly so far so good well to day i been trying to fit it #-o #-o

1/ i have broken the fitment that hold the top of the alternator think it call the dowl for the top adjust ment screw so any one know where i can get my hands on one [-o< [-o< [-o<

2/ after fitting the new alterator the top lug is to far back leving little to no room to ajust the belts #-o #-o #-o

is there no adjustment left(belts slack) or is alternator too near the engine (belts too tight) alan.
and where did you get the alternator from, and is it green in colour or has it a black band on it.
is the bottom long bolt in right, its a bit hard to see. #-o
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:20 pm

If you compare both alternators side by side, you should be able to see if there's any differences in the mounting arrangements.
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:22 pm

Simon Jones wrote:I may have one of those bolts in my spares box if someone needs it. Will have a look tomorrow and report back.
Simon, if you can find it? Send it to Alan..!

Like i said earlier i've taken a punt on a similar Mazy assembly. long bolt/captive bolt thing & the nut to tighten it up. (just in case the threads are different?)

... I've also saved a fortune on diesel not using the van for the past week! :lol:
alan
Supreme Being

Post by alan » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:14 pm

jaylee wrote:
Simon Jones wrote:I may have one of those bolts in my spares box if someone needs it. Will have a look tomorrow and report back.
Simon, if you can find it? Send it to Alan..!

Like i said earlier i've taken a punt on a similar Mazy assembly. long bolt/captive bolt thing & the nut to tighten it up. (just in case the threads are different?)

... I've also saved a fortune on diesel not using the van for the past week! :lol:
thanks for that jaylee an simon if you do fine it ill pm you my addreess cheers
alan
Supreme Being

Post by alan » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:23 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:
alan wrote:ok here it is my alternator is on it way out so order a new one and it truned up qiuckly so far so good well to day i been trying to fit it #-o #-o

is there no adjustment left(belts slack) or is alternator too near the engine (belts too tight) alan.
and where did you get the alternator from, and is it green in colour or has it a black band on it.
is the bottom long bolt in right, its a bit hard to see. #-o
hi belts to slack

as it still the weekend i have to give the frim i got it from time to sorte it out when there are open on monday
i did some reading on this site an toke the frim name from here got to say there seem to know want there where on about on the phone .
its a black banded one not green but 100watts not the 80 that some are say well do 90
alan
Supreme Being

Post by alan » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:26 pm

Simon Jones wrote:If you compare both alternators side by side, you should be able to see if there's any differences in the mounting arrangements.
yeh toke it out line them up an sure anoth the top lug to far forward #-o #-o

looking like wrong one sent #-o #-o
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:24 am

I'm feeling yer pain Alan.. I shall be finding out middle of the week if the guess i took is right! [-o<

Incidentally.. (Throwing this question out.) The new belts i received are the V type but toothed?? As opposed to the ones i replaced which was just the straight V band..

Toothed like this.. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/74 ... belt0.jpg/

Am i right in thinking the grip on the drive wheels will be the same? (So long as the tension is right.) :wink: :?:
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:52 am

if you tension the alternator with a wooded lever

and tighten the main bolts

i would have thought that would be ok

Return to “Techie Stuff”