underseal

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

flashgordon69
Bongonaut

underseal

Post by flashgordon69 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:30 pm

Just wondered what you bongolians use for underseal, i know about wax oil for the nooks and crannies, but what about the wheel arches and big areas underneath
ps i dont like that black tar like stuff, ive found in the past it does more harm than good

8) 8)
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:43 pm

I don't know. I just took the van to a bloke on the industrial estate up the road who charged me ?200. He could have used Tate & Lyle for all I know.....
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
tigger
Bongolier

Post by tigger » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:40 am

Ah, but there's black stuff and there's black stuff.....

You're quite right, the bitumen based stuff that comes in paint type tins is rubbish - cheap and easy to apply, but then it hardens, cracks off and becomes a water/crud trap and rust concealer. Avoid it!

But then there's the black Waxoyl designed for undersealing. It never sets, so it certainly isn't the case that is can ever do more harm than good. Basically, it's a choice between that and the equivalent from Dinitrol - which I think might be a bit higher tech but more expensive? In some ways Waxoyl/Dinitrol are not so good as 'factory' underseal, as they don't really offer much impact resistance against flying stones etc (also you get mucky hands whenever you're fiddling about underneath the vehicle). But, on the other hand, because they don't 'set' they sort of self-heal a bit if disturbed.

So I suggest you use either Waxoyl or Dinitrol 4941 or Dinitrol 4942. But if you want something a bit thicker, there is something called 'hardwax' for underbodies - this might even be a Waxoyl product ?

Cheers

tigger
earhook

Post by earhook » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:58 am

did a few hours on my back with a paintbrush and a tin of waxoil. Results seem satisfactory but I could do with a ramp or pit for another final coat. The drive is black and the dog rug is trashed.
flashgordon69
Bongonaut

Post by flashgordon69 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:27 pm

i didnt know there were 2 grades of waxoil

question answered

cheers 8) 8)

Return to “Techie Stuff”