The spare wheel issue

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

mentaliss
Bongolier

The spare wheel issue

Post by mentaliss » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:53 pm

well I have always been a keen supporter to keep the 'skinny' emergency wheel/tyre on board... but its now become my problem! who now sells the T135/90/15 100m tyre ? one of the main suppliers, City Tyre's (Bridgestone £62.00) appear to gone out of business, many hours of searching the net hasn't got me anywhere, Ok I know all about utilising the standard wheel with the standard bongo tyre etc but again more money for a wheel+tyre......my bongo is 12 years old in two weeks time perhaps its ready for the 'n.....s yard' :lol:

PS, My bongo is fitted with 17" alloys
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: The spare wheel issue

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:17 pm

I've noticed the same problem having done some recent investigation. The size looks to a close match for Citroen 2CV, but I doubt you'd find suitable load rating! Certain Mazda 6's also used the same tyre, so that may be another avenue to explore. I did view a Mazda 6 spacesaver that someone was selling, but that one was considerably smaller.

Honda Civic is also listed as being a compatible option: http://www.tyrepartner.co.uk/pics/Bridg ... 202011.pdf for the Bridgestone Tracompa TR2
mentaliss
Bongolier

Post by mentaliss » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:10 pm

Simon Jones wrote:I've noticed the same problem having done some recent investigation. The size looks to a close match for Citroen 2CV, but I doubt you'd find suitable load rating! Certain Mazda 6's also used the same tyre, so that may be another avenue to explore. I did view a Mazda 6 spacesaver that someone was selling, but that one was considerably smaller.

Honda Civic is also listed as being a compatible option: http://www.tyrepartner.co.uk/pics/Bridg ... 202011.pdf for the Bridgestone Tracompa TR2
yes I agree. I looked at the Honda Civic...Honda parts division UK told me its available via Japan...WAIT wait for it.... £186.00 :lol: that was early this year ! sure, there were other car manufactures you used this tyre size and it's probably available via Japan but I suspect at the same sort of cost which is totally unrealistic... so it looks like 'Kevin' down at Southampton will have to sort out a standard bongo road wheel and 70 profile tyre which gives me almost the same rolling radius as my 17" alloys.... I will have to check that it will fit in the original 'spare' space, I could of course just fill the tyres with the puncture preventative 'Goo' but I am given to understand that Spain now requires motorist's to have a spare wheel on board
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:29 pm

Pretty certain you'll have no probs fitting full size wheel in the space, although you may need to bend the bracket nearest the rear axle slightly. If you need me to pick up a wheel from Kevin at Southern Bongos let me know. If you're going to the Looe meet I could always bring it along. I do have a spare alloy & tyre knocking around which I picked up for another member, so I'll see if he still needs it. Will check out the sizing this evening.
mentaliss
Bongolier

Post by mentaliss » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:45 pm

Simon Jones wrote:Pretty certain you'll have no probs fitting full size wheel in the space, although you may need to bend the bracket nearest the rear axle slightly. If you need me to pick up a wheel from Kevin at Southern Bongos let me know. If you're going to the Looe meet I could always bring it along. I do have a spare alloy & tyre knocking around which I picked up for another member, so I'll see if he still needs it. Will check out the sizing this evening.
thanks as always for your help, problem is I'm still waiting for the bongo's elevating roof to be finished off (Budget bongos) I've then got to get the vehicle back then put it back together (interior) were then suppose to be off to Sicily!!!! I'm sure life was not this stressful when I worked for a living :lol:
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:15 pm

You can have my old skinny if you'd like to orgainse a Bongo Relay.

Cornwall Meet coming up, so should be easy.

Obviously original, but never been used. :)
mentaliss
Bongolier

Post by mentaliss » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:21 am

Bob wrote:You can have my old skinny if you'd like to orgainse a Bongo Relay.

Cornwall Meet coming up, so should be easy.

Obviously original, but never been used. :)
Thanks very much for your offer but my skinny has never been used either (11 years old) the side wall's are badly cracked to the point where it puts the tyre beyond use.. I suspect yours will be the same? everybody who owns a bongo that's more than (6?) years old should inspect their skinny tyre for deterioration, OK its not a MOT issue (yet)......but one could be tempted to use it in the event of a puncture and that tyre could be in a dangerous state..as I've mentioned in the previous post I run 17" alloys so the easy answer is to buy a standard Bongo 15" steel wheel and fit a budget tyre to suit making sure that it has a 70' profile this gives me the same rolling circumference as my 17" wheels and keeps my speed accurate to 3-4 mph slower than the Sat Nav speed indication, not perfect but isn't that the situation with all bongo. 8)

Return to “Techie Stuff”