2wd autobox on a 4wd

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

opp_uk
Bongonaut

2wd autobox on a 4wd

Post by opp_uk » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:24 pm

I think its clear to see that I am no mechanic! Is this a daft question.

Could I put a 2wd gearbox on my N-reg 4wd auto friendee?

There seems to be quite a few on ebay and they are a fraction of the price of a 'rare as rocking horse s@#t' 4wd autobox.

Any advice would be much appreciated

regards

Pete
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Re: 2wd autobox on a 4wd

Post by Muzorewa » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:50 pm

Aye, Mister Munkey did exactly that.

Your Bongo will only be 2WD though #-o :wink:
opp_uk
Bongonaut

Post by opp_uk » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:06 pm

Cool, So could anyone point me in the direction of how to go about this? Is it a simple as replacing the box or are silly things like multi-plugs (if there are any) different. Do I just remove the drive for the front wheels? I really have no concern about whether the vehicle is 2wd or 4wd. I just want a gearbox that works. I assume it would be more economical in 2wd?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Pete
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:28 pm

opp_uk wrote: I assume it would be more economical in 2wd?
Not unless you remove the front axle as well, as the weight will still be there.
There actually isn't much difference between 2WD and 4WD anyway.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
maxheadroom
Supreme Being

Post by maxheadroom » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:51 pm

Muzorewa wrote:Aye, Mister Munkey did exactly that.

Your Bongo will only be 2WD though #-o :wink:
I know Munkey did this but not how, he does come on here occasionally now, oh and he is on holiday at the mo.
Keep the Faith

brorabongo
Supreme Being

Post by brorabongo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:17 pm

This might not be of much use but.....

I had to replace my manual box, so for the craic I striped down my old one....this also made it easier to get rid of. The gear box itself I think is the same for 2wd and 4wd, the only difference AFAIK is the transfer box. Could the auto box be the same?
ボンゴの激怒 pictures
Run your fingers over my Bongo, and I'll run my Bongo over your fingers!! :twisted:
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:31 pm

according to mr monkey the gearbox input shaft was a different dia,so his mechanic made one good box out of the 2, this involved a full strip of both boxes.
the 2 wheel prop is also longer than the 4wd as there is no transfer box to worry about.

this guy will have one,give him a ring.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/bongobits4u20 ... rom=&_ipg=

or this guy is good.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 0kdg7Gh2BA
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:23 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:according to mr monkey the gearbox input shaft was a different dia,so his mechanic made one good box out of the 2, this involved a full strip of both boxes.
the 2 wheel prop is also longer than the 4wd as there is no transfer box to worry about.

or this guy is good.
Hi,
As far as I can see the 4wd BV801 and the 2wd BV811 boxes use the same input/spigot shaft....BV4521678.

I am interested in this for another reason,do you have a link to Mister Munkeys post.

Thanks
opp_uk
Bongonaut

Post by opp_uk » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:59 pm

Thanks all for replies.

I will endevour to get a 4wd box and have it fitted at Dunnings. I have to admit once the work is done I'm probably going to sell the camper as I cant really afford the running costs of 20 to the gallon! Shame really as I do love the thing!! (apart from gearbox fault)
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:52 pm

rita wrote:
Northern Bongolow wrote:according to mr monkey the gearbox input shaft was a different dia,so his mechanic made one good box out of the 2, this involved a full strip of both boxes.

or this guy is good.
Hi,
As far as I can see the 4wd BV801 and the 2wd BV811 boxes use the same input/spigot shaft....BV4521678.

I am interested in this for another reason,do you have a link to Mister Munkeys post.

Thanks
it wasnt on a post, i went with him to get the 2wheel d box and longer rear prop, then as he had his bongo already in bits at his local garage, the garage attempted to fit this to his 4wd, chris let me know that they couldnt and had to make 1out of 2.
send mr monkey a pm he will get it, he may give you more info.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:20 pm

Northern Bongolow wrote:
rita wrote:

or this guy is good.
Hi,

Thanks
it wasnt on a post, i went with him to get the 2wheel d box and longer rear prop, then as he had his bongo already in bits at his local garage, the garage attempted to fit this to his 4wd, chris let me know that they couldnt and had to make 1out of 2.
send mr monkey a pm he will get it, he may give you more info.
Thanks for the reply.
roofraisers
Bongolier

Post by roofraisers » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:11 pm

I have just noticed looking at parts diagrams for the bongo auto box that the 99 onwards have a different part number for the input shaft & the front oil seal.
So the difference may not be between 2WD & 4WD it may be the AGE of the vehicle which the replacement g/box comes from that's important.

Nigel.

Edit:- this applies to diesels, petrols have their own part numbers, so the gearboxes may not also be interchangable.
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Post by Northern Bongolow » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:44 pm

thanks nigel, that may explain it.
cannot be sure but if i remember correctly they were both of similar age so !!!!. but, with a lot of these things on the bongo there does seem to be wacky variants out there. #-o #-o . unknown jap history i suppose. :roll:
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:20 am

Sounds actually like playing around with Land Rovers, all hand built and fitted with what bits were sitting around at the time of assembly. Thought the Japs were more organised than Solihull but maybe not.
I had a Range Rover built on the crossover from 3.5 engine to 3.9. Every bit had to be sourced individualy. It had the 3.9 engine but the 3.5 alternator and so on similarly. Whatever bit they had in stock went on it. Records were not too good either, it was down the scrappy suck it and see for many bits. British engineering at its best?
As Bongos age probably more of this will emerge.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion

Return to “Techie Stuff”