Temperature gauge - Bongo Friendee 2.0L petrol Aero model

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

oldfart
Junior Bongonaut

Temperature gauge - Bongo Friendee 2.0L petrol Aero model

Post by oldfart » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:22 am

Recently bought a Bongo Friendee 2.0L petrol Aero model, from a main importer/conversion dealership, and traded in my ageing old-faithful 2.5TD. A 250-mile journey home gave me time to check for faults. Noticed that there was no movement of the temperature gauge needle, particularly when cruising on the motorway, although it would creep up slightly if the engine was under extra load (long inclines and hills) or when in slow traffic in towns. Went back to dealership for the temperature gauge problem to be checked but no fault found. Sensor changed but hasn't made any difference.
I was told that the sensor is for the Japanese market and it is designed for a hotter climate and therefore shows a different reading. Apparently, a "winter" version sensor is not available in the UK.
Any thoughts please and is this specific to petrol Bongos?
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: Temperature gauge - Bongo Friendee 2.0L petrol Aero mode

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:18 am

longhaul8
Tribal Elder

Post by longhaul8 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:20 am

I think most of the temp gauges on the bongo's are dampened down.

on mine the temp gauge is modified with a mason alarm

this may help http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... b5#p553475
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:40 pm

oldfart wrote:I was told that the sensor is for the Japanese market and it is designed for a hotter climate and therefore shows a different reading. Apparently, a "winter" version sensor is not available in the UK.
I think someone is telling porkies. The north of Japan is prone to lots of snow, hence the winter pack with twin batteries and the engine warm-up device. There would be no advantage in having a different sensor as the engine is designed to maintain a fairly steady temperature regardless of the ambient temperature.

From: http://www.nationsencyclopedia.com/Asia ... ATE.html#b

Average temperature ranges from 17° C (63° F ) in the southern portions to 9° C (48° F ) in the extreme north. Hokkaido has long and severe winters with extensive snow, while the remainder of the country enjoys milder weather down to the southern regions, which are almost subtropical. The Ryukyus, although located in the temperate zone, are warmed by the Japan Current, giving them a subtropical climate. The typhoon season runs from May through October, and each year several storms usually sweep through the islands, often accompanied by high winds and heavy rains.
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:12 pm

the temp gauge on our 2L tends to move between 10 and 12.00 o clock. If you have it settled at around 11 then on a downhill section of road, ease off the gas and engage 'hold', you should find the temp reading drops back significantly. (to about 10 o clock) or at least it does on ours. :D
steviebongo
Tribal Elder

Post by steviebongo » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:09 pm

Yeah mines sat around there as well once I fitted a new thermostat ! Got mine from a dealer ,which was my second bongo this time a 2.0L and once on the motorway the temp gauge dropped like a stone and heater went cool ,easy fit and not needing to bleed that much compared to ma diesel ,might be worth throwing in a new stat and see how it works .

Cheers stevie
oldfart
Junior Bongonaut

Post by oldfart » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:01 pm

Thank you to everyone who has responded to my query.
A lot of 'food for thought' and plenty of ammunition to go back to the dealership with to get the problem looked at again. Their after sales service has been good so far, in sorting out a couple of other problems, and I am pleased with my new Bongo. Hopefully it will serve me well during many years of retirement travelling.
I think the adage "once a Bongo owner always a Bongo owner" is very true in my case.
psquiddy
Bongolier

Post by psquiddy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:43 pm

See also

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... em#p553433

Three months on my gauge still fails to register if I am on a run, but if I am in stop start traffic it behaves as a normal temp gauge should.

I have not done anything, I have just recognised that the car "runs cool" on a 45 mph plus run.
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk
mentaliss
Bongolier

Post by mentaliss » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:38 am

psquiddy wrote:See also

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... em#p553433

Three months on my gauge still fails to register if I am on a run, but if I am in stop start traffic it behaves as a normal temp gauge should.

I have not done anything, I have just recognised that the car "runs cool" on a 45 mph plus run.
Im just a silly old fool! but in the old days this was the problem with old vauxhall viva's :lol: but the fault was with the actual Temp' sender unit nothing to do with the dash unit...when the coolant got to its running temp the sender unit would produce near zero readings 8)

Return to “Techie Stuff”